Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Gas coming out of air filter? + Bike dies/starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 01:49 PM
cvsisinthehouse
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gas coming out of air filter? + Bike dies/starting issues

I noticed that gas comes out of the air filter sometimes on my 2005 Softail fuel injected FLSTSCI. Any idea what could cause this? Old o-rings on the fuel injectors? And would it make the bike just die going down the road? This happened this week. Then it wouldnt start, had to have the wife come get me. Also having starting issues. Sometimes the bike starts, sometimes it just does a rapid clicking. Another question, if the starter relay is going bad, would it cause the bike to die as you are riding? or is it only used to start the bike?: Thanks for any help.

Old 02-26-2022, 08:04 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by cvsisinthehouse
I noticed that gas comes out of the air filter sometimes on my 2005 Softail fuel injected FLSTSCI. Any idea what could cause this?
ARE YOU SURE IT'S NOT OIL FROM THE BREATHER SYSTEM - IF IT IS TRULY RAW FUEL YOU HAVE AN ISSUE

Old o-rings on the fuel injectors?
NO - O-RINGS ON THE TOP OF THE INJECTOR SEAL FUEL AND O-RINGS ON THE BOTTOM SEAL AIR. AN O-RING LEAKING FUEL IS EXTERNAL TO THE AIR CLEANER.

And would it make the bike just die going down the road?
IF IT IS TRULY RAW FUEL YES BUT IT WOULD BE COMING FROM THE INJECTOR PINTLE

This happened this week. Then it wouldnt start, had to have the wife come get me. Also having starting issues. Sometimes the bike starts, sometimes it just does a rapid clicking.
HAVE YOUR BATTERY LOAD TESTED AND CHECK ALL CABLE CONNECTIONS

Another question, if the starter relay is going bad, would it cause the bike to die as you are riding? or is it only used to start the bike?:
NO

Thanks for any help.
See above

Old 02-26-2022, 08:37 PM
cvsisinthehouse
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Its gas for sure. The battery load is good. I need to check starter end of battery cable, other ends are snug and clean. I will look for the source of the fuel leak.

Old 02-26-2022, 08:54 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

You have another thread describing how these problems started after very open exhaust and other work. You also said you were looking into a tuner. Just a suggestion that starting a thread like this without all the background info makes it tough to help.