Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Powervision with Target tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 07:39 PM
miketv84
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Powervision with Target tune

I have a 107 built motor in a 2007 Road King that was tuned with power vision at the shop and also dyno'd. I recently put the icing on this build and installed Bassani's 2-1 Road Rage. Obviously it's not running correctly and needs to be addressed. Aside from bringing it back to the same place to just tune it I've been looking into just buying a PV module and see a lot of recommendations of adding target tune to really get a good running bike.

Would the consensus be that just buying the PV alone isn't going to be enough to get the bike to run properly with this 2-1 exhaust addition? The target tune uses the wideband o2 sensors which I know are used on the dyno so I see the benefit there. Does the target tune kit then stay installed on the bike once done?

Thanks.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:57 PM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member
Received 858 Likes on 328 Posts

Yes the Target Tune stays on the bike. You can remove the Power Vision but I leave mine on to monitor the engine with the gauges. Give Fuel Moto a call and they will set you up with a Target Tune kit and a Power Vision with a map already installed. Then you just install the Target Tune, flash the ecm with the PV, twist your right wrist, and enjoy.

Old 12-31-2021, 01:28 AM
miketv84
Road Master

Originally Posted by h-d wrencher
Yes the Target Tune stays on the bike. You can remove the Power Vision but I leave mine on to monitor the engine with the gauges. Give Fuel Moto a call and they will set you up with a Target Tune kit and a Power Vision with a map already installed. Then you just install the Target Tune, flash the ecm with the PV, twist your right wrist, and enjoy.
Thanks. Spoke with Fuel moto and they said they haven't worked with my setup too much . Tmann pro touring heads,matching pistons, hpi 55mm throttle body,fueling cam, bassani 2-1. Dynojet said that it would be best to send them whatever is currently stored in the ecm and build from there.

Old 12-31-2021, 07:07 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by h-d wrencher
That's it? If only that easy. If we change the air flow through the engine. Meaning at some throttle positions more air will be moving, and some less air might be moving through the engine. Wouldn't timing also need to be addressed? Since KPA is a good indication of this air flow. Wouldn't throttle settings also need to be adjusted? What about acceleration fuel? This is base on straight pulse width. Wouldn't one want that tuned also? How about CDE tables? Would a 2-1 affect exhaust gas reversion and there for MAP readings?

Yeah, put it on and enjoy but that doesn't mean you bike is Inman great state of tune.

Old 12-31-2021, 07:15 AM
miketv84
Road Master

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
That's it? If only that easy. If we change the air flow through the engine. Meaning at some throttle positions more air will be moving, and some less air might be moving through the engine. Wouldn't timing also need to be addressed? Since KPA is a good indication of this air flow. Wouldn't throttle settings also need to be adjusted? What about acceleration fuel? This is base on straight pulse width. Wouldn't one want that tuned also? How about CDE tables? Would a 2-1 affect exhaust gas reversion and there for MAP readings?

Yeah, put it on and enjoy but that doesn't mean you bike is Inman great state of tune.
Lol from what I understand and have read so far, the auto tune process either basic, pro or target using PV has you ride through all your different styles of riding and adjusts as it goes along. Then you have to apply those changes to the ecm after. Adding the target tune apparently does even more refinement. I see your point about all those things you brought up but a tuner at a dyno shop is essentially using the same power vision set up.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:39 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by miketv84
Lol from what I understand and have read so far, the auto tune process either basic, pro or target using PV has you ride through all your different styles of riding and adjusts as it goes along. Then you have to apply those changes to the ecm after. Adding the target tune apparently does even more refinement. I see your point about all those things you brought up but a tuner at a dyno shop is essentially using the same power vision set up.
Maybe, but a lot of tuners at dyno shops don't use the Vision process of basic, pro or target. They collect data with something else and map VE with something else. Use the vision for tables and a key to flash the ECM. Yet, of the 3 options you have with Vision. It's only addressing the VE tables. A tuner is using his knowledge and his dyno as a tool for other tables.

Here are some things a tuning product does not address and why a knowledgeable tuner will always do a better job.

Detonation when leaving from a long stop light. Most tuning devices will address this in the main spark table. Is that the best way to do it or the easiest way? Some will even go further and address this in Engine temp correction tables. Is this the best way to address the detonation?

High VE's in a certain area of the VE table. 4000rpm at 55kpa VE cell is at 127. Most tuning products will want you to up the cubic inch size of the engine. Is this the best way to address these high VE numbers or is there a better way?

IME Hitting a target VE is the easiest adjustment and the one with the most tolerance to be off with out effecting daily performance. Things such as timing have a less tolerance, harder for people to wrap their head around, no great tools in any program and will have more affect on daily driving. How many times do we hear about a bike running hot and the answers that come back is about fuel and how it needs more. Rant about lean conditions and EPA but the real cause is retarded timing putting heat into the heads through exhaust.

No doubt people can get a good running bike by auto tuning on the street, but if you think your are going to download a calibration. Hook up target tune and just ride. Good should be your expectations.

Old 12-31-2021, 12:24 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,089 Likes on 2,043 Posts

Steve Cole made a post about this very topic and I should have done a screen shot of it because it was the perfect explanation of why the target tune or pro tune or whatever device doesn't actually tune the bike. Nothing is a good as a good dyno tune. I've used maps from fuelmoto on other people's bikes and they worked well and those guys were happy with the results. Full disclosure...each time it was a package that fuelmoto has used many many times so they have the tune pretty close. Vary from one of their setups and your results may not be what you were expecting.

The following users liked this post:
Stang951 (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 03:48 PM
miketv84
Road Master

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
Steve Cole made a post about this very topic and I should have done a screen shot of it because it was the perfect explanation of why the target tune or pro tune or whatever device doesn't actually tune the bike. Nothing is a good as a good dyno tune. I've used maps from fuelmoto on other people's bikes and they worked well and those guys were happy with the results. Full disclosure...each time it was a package that fuelmoto has used many many times so they have the tune pretty close. Vary from one of their setups and your results may not be what you were expecting.
I appreciate the input thank you. A lot to think about. I think even the less expensive option is to just have it tuned somewhere. Power vision plus the target tune at around $900.

Old 12-31-2021, 03:51 PM
miketv84
Road Master

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
Maybe, but a lot of tuners at dyno shops don't use the Vision process of basic, pro or target. They collect data with something else and map VE with something else. Use the vision for tables and a key to flash the ECM. Yet, of the 3 options you have with Vision. It's only addressing the VE tables. A tuner is using his knowledge and his dyno as a tool for other tables.

Here are some things a tuning product does not address and why a knowledgeable tuner will always do a better job.

Detonation when leaving from a long stop light. Most tuning devices will address this in the main spark table. Is that the best way to do it or the easiest way? Some will even go further and address this in Engine temp correction tables. Is this the best way to address the detonation?

High VE's in a certain area of the VE table. 4000rpm at 55kpa VE cell is at 127. Most tuning products will want you to up the cubic inch size of the engine. Is this the best way to address these high VE numbers or is there a better way?

IME Hitting a target VE is the easiest adjustment and the one with the most tolerance to be off with out effecting daily performance. Things such as timing have a less tolerance, harder for people to wrap their head around, no great tools in any program and will have more affect on daily driving. How many times do we hear about a bike running hot and the answers that come back is about fuel and how it needs more. Rant about lean conditions and EPA but the real cause is retarded timing putting heat into the heads through exhaust.

No doubt people can get a good running bike by auto tuning on the street, but if you think your are going to download a calibration. Hook up target tune and just ride. Good should be your expectations.
So your recommendation is basically bring it somewhere. It's just frustrating having something out of my control. It's **** weather now anyways so I'm not riding but having it in my garage and knowing it isn't running right because of the exhaust addition is annoying if that makes sense. Maybe it's just me.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:49 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Depends of your knowledge of tuning. Time and effort you want to put in tuning and learning to tune. Or take it to a professional.

Quick Reply: Powervision with Target tune