Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

factory security?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 05:27 PM
05roadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory security?

Hey guys I know I could find this somewhere else but I guess that's what this forum is for....to ask questions! SO! I was just wondering how the factory security system works? how does it stop theft? how do ya activate or deactivate it? thanks in advance!

Old 02-04-2005, 08:28 PM
investorsc
Road Master
Default RE: factory security?

The factory security system is basic a motion/shock type of sensing. The "alarm consists of a shrill shrieking audible alarm along with blinking of the lights. It can also be triggered by turning on the ignition switch (That you forgot to lock). Arming/Disarming is by a keyless remote pushbutton disk usually on the keychain. It is a fun gag to arm it while the keys are in the tank switch and your "buddy is out of earshot of the tell tale beep-beep-beep. As soon as they sit on their bike , and upright it off the kickstand, or if they turn on the switch- hello Mr. Alarm.

Harley has an optional Louder siren as an option we found out about at a nearby dealer, and ordered it to supplement the stock alarm.

A remote pager is avail that I think even gives a distance to the bike should the alarm trigger....

BRUCE

Old 02-04-2005, 08:46 PM
dm_gsxr
Cruiser

On my 02, the security system doesn't come with a siren. After using it, I'm satisfied without it. It basically disables the bike when armed. If you move it or try to turn it on without deactivating it, the turn signals alternately blink (left, right, left, right).

My security module failed a year or so ago and it prevented the bike from moving so the device by default disables the bike even if someone disconnects it (cutting the wires for example). You need a special code to deactivate it if you lose your keyfob. It's normally set when you get the bike.

Carl

Old 02-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didnt buy it......figured it was like a car alarm......how many do you walk by while they are going off?

Old 02-05-2005, 01:46 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

My '05 does not have a siren. Carl pretty much described the way it works. Only difference for me is, I got to pick the code. Idea is this, you set the alarm with the key fob, and lose your key, you can still get home (assuming you didn't lock the bike) You enter the code by hitting the turn signal buttons in a certain sequence (that I picked) and you can get the bike home.

Mac

Old 02-05-2005, 05:22 AM
SERB
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Mac said goes for my 05 Low Rider, too.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Im not worried about security, thats why I have an insurance policy. Besides a good theif always has a plan.

Old 02-05-2005, 11:40 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sincecrazy

Im not worried about security, thats why I have an insurance policy. Besides a good theif always has a plan.
Or a tow truck.

Keeps the honest ones honest.

Mac

Old 02-05-2005, 12:51 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Cop at Bike week in 02 told us rotor locks are useless because thieves just pick up the back tire and put it on a skateboard. Then they roll it around to a cube van with a lift gate and bye bye bike.

Old 02-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Lars
Intermediate

That's why I got the siren. Always get a first floor motel room and park outside the door. Won't stop the real pros but it might wake me if someones fooling around.

Quick Reply: factory security?