Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Preserve map

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 02:17 PM
JefDC
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preserve map

Hello,
I have some basic questions regarding preserving (saving) maps with a tuner.
My bike (FXFBS) has a Torque cam with a Dyno tune. I'm happy with it above 2500rpm but not below.
The questions:
- Is it possible to preserve (save) the tuned map which is in the ECU, so that I can re-flash it later if needed ?
I would think this must be possible but the manuals are not clear. When they write: the 'stock map', do they mean the 'stock map that came with bike when new 'stock map' or the map that is in the bike when the tuner is connected the first time ?
- Can this be done with a V&H FP3 ?

Thank you for your time.
Jef

Old 12-23-2021, 03:26 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by JefDC
Hello,
I have some basic questions regarding preserving (saving) maps with a tuner.
My bike (FXFBS) has a Torque cam with a Dyno tune. I'm happy with it above 2500rpm but not below.
The questions:
- Is it possible to preserve (save) the tuned map which is in the ECU, so that I can re-flash it later if needed ?
I would think this must be possible but the manuals are not clear. When they write: the 'stock map', do they mean the 'stock map that came with bike when new 'stock map' or the map that is in the bike when the tuner is connected the first time ?
- Can this be done with a V&H FP3 ?

Thank you for your time.
Jef
I am not absolutely positive on the FP3, but..... With other tuners that allow you to save the stock calibration. It is saving the calibration that is in the ECM at that time. If the cal in the ECM is a custom cal. That is what it is going to save since the original stock cal is long gone and has been over written.

Old 12-23-2021, 03:47 PM
Jomape
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

With Power Vision you can copy the current map from the ECM and save it easily.

Old 12-23-2021, 05:02 PM
JefDC
Novice

Thanks for the replies. Good to hear that it is possible.
I will take a further look to the Power Vision.

Jef

Old 12-24-2021, 09:07 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

DYNOJET Power vision copies the map and saves it you can restore it in about 45 seconds. I do however recommend you you copy it to you computer also . Simple to do just in case the unit ever fails.
Just in case you are thinking about restoring the factory Map for warranty reasons They will know the second the hook it up at HD.
If you plan to buy a Power vision I suggest getting it from Fuel Moto. When you order it on the form you fill in what you have done to the bike and they will include a preloaded map with it for you and will modify it for you free if you make changes. No better support anywhere.

Old 12-24-2021, 10:17 AM
JefDC
Novice

I live in Belgium, for some reason the HD Screaming Eagle tuners are not available here at all and we can use the V&H, Dynojet, ... tuners without loosing our warranty if bought at a Harley dealership; so ordering with Fuel Moto is (sadly) not a good option.
My bike is Dyno tuned, I only want to be sure I can keep that tuned map, definitely saving the map to a PC as well.
Thanks for the info.

Jef

Old 12-24-2021, 10:26 AM
JefDC
Novice

From the answers so far I see that the Power vision definitely is able to save the map (and meanwhile watched their video's for the procedure as well).
On the downside they don't seem to have a map for my configuration (or I don't find it) - all HD: SE air intake, SE-447 cam and Street Cannons - which surprises me a bit.
The V&H PF3 does have a tune for my configuration, but it seems that tuner cannot save the original map that's in the bike.

Jef

Old 12-25-2021, 09:42 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 466 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by JefDC
From the answers so far I see that the Power vision definitely is able to save the map (and meanwhile watched their video's for the procedure as well).
On the downside they don't seem to have a map for my configuration (or I don't find it) - all HD: SE air intake, SE-447 cam and Street Cannons - which surprises me a bit.
The V&H PF3 does have a tune for my configuration, but it seems that tuner cannot save the original map that's in the bike.

Jef
when you install the FP3 or PV they both will save the tune that's presently in the ECM upon install. so..your dyno tuned map will be the "stock tune" that is saved.

Old 12-25-2021, 07:57 PM
JefDC
Novice

That's excellent news, thanks !

Jef