Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 04:49 PM
diablos
Road Captain
Received 632 Likes on 267 Posts
Default crank no start

2007 dyna lowrider w/3400 miles. only modifications are gutted SE slip ons w/TTI's, VIEDs, and dk customs 606 intake. (vied and intake was removed during troubleshooting) went for a ride last week and bike ran great (this was with the pipes and vied's), came home parked it and installed the intake (have not ridden with the intake on). went to go for a quick ride during lunch break and bike would not start, crank it all you want, but not start.

have had battery load tested (good), cleaned fuse panel and replaced both relays, replaced crank sensor and tested spark with inline tester (good spark). replaced plugs for good measure (old plugs weren't that bad though). no way to test fuel pressure, but the fuel line was address by previous owner at the dealership.

bike has the tssm and it appears to be working correctly (red key there when its supposed to be, lights flash to arm the system), and the first thing i did for all of the was CHANGED THE KEY FOB BATTERY. i also manually entered the code to bypass with no changes, still cranks no start.

can this be related to the tssm as start functions are governed by it or am i looking at something else such as possible ecu failure?

oh, and the only code i've been able to pull is U1255

Old 12-03-2021, 07:23 AM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,648 Likes on 1,058 Posts

The U1255 is a serial data error, which indicates the ECM is not receiving serial data from a device. That could be a speedo as it has a pin for serial data, but since you had the manifold off just before this occurred, I look back at the area for any connection issues. Check all fuses and electrical connections for corrosion. And you might try unplugging and plugging the ECM connector to rub the contacts together in case there is a problem there. While it's unplugged, look for signs of corrosion. If nothing is found, I'd remove the VIED's to see if it starts without them.

It cranks, you have spark, but does it have fuel? Do you hear the fuel pump cycle when you turn the ignition on?

Paul

Old 12-03-2021, 07:59 AM
diablos
Road Captain

the only connection i saw behind the air cleaner during install was an unused one (cant remember what i read that was for), but its capped. all fuses were checked for continuity with a multimeter and the fuse box was cleaned with electrical cleaner. before reinstalling the fuses i put some electrical connector lube (pn 11300004) on the male and female ends of the connections.

speedo passed wow test and im able to pull diagnostic codes, would that indicate a good connection? if not i'll pull and inspect

i didnt note any corrosion on ecm connection, but i didnt put any of the electrical lube on it. maybe i should have?

i can hear fuel pump run and shut off like its supposed to, after cranking a few times and pulling plugs to inspect, plugs are wet with fuel.

during this entire procedure vied's have been off the bike (in that video they were off the bike).

Old 12-03-2021, 08:31 AM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member

Yes, it could be an ECM failure but the diagnosis is involved. But why now after you replaced the intake manifold? I'd go back and check the things you did just before this happened. It started before that so the problem is likely related. The TSSM can cause this problem but you have bypassed that by manually entering the code, and the symptoms you describe, it cranks, has spark and fuel don't point to that.

There is no real test of an ECM that I know of except a known good test unit. The diagnostic for a failed ECM is to check all other items to narrow it down to that. If you have spark and fuel, you should get something when cranking. If the timing of the events is correct, the engine should start and run. If they are not correct you should get backfiring from the intake or exhaust.

So I suggest you recheck everything you did. If you don't find anything or it still won't start, I'd remove the VIED's and see if that changes anything.

Paul

Old 12-03-2021, 08:59 AM
diablos
Road Captain

first thing i did was return the bike to stock configuration (vied's and intake were removed, cant do anything about the baffles in the pipes), no changes were noted, bike still acted like a dead fish.

no backfiring through exhaust or intake, what you hear in that video is exactly how the bike is acting. it will pop off like that a couple times until the plugs get soaked, then it will just crank and crank until the battery dies. on that note, i didnt notice any excessive draw while cranking when i tested that either.

if nothing else, this sounds like it comes down to two components then, tssm or ecm. i was planning on ditching the security anyway as i think its a total pita, but of course the tsm is on backorder. if that doesnt correct the issue them ecm which will have to be corrected at the dealership, correct?

Old 12-03-2021, 12:01 PM
diablos
Road Captain

follow up question

if it is the ecm, will the tsm marry to it correctly when i swap it out?

Old 12-04-2021, 01:12 PM
diablos
Road Captain

Not finding any corrosion loose connections

Old 12-04-2021, 01:31 PM
diablos
Road Captain

Progress maybe, had to drain a couple gallons. Listen and let me know if that is the fuel lines.

Old 12-04-2021, 04:56 PM
diablos
Road Captain

pretty sure we got a diagnosis, some language in the video

The following 2 users liked this post by diablos:
Max Headflow (12-05-2021), pgreer (12-04-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 07:22 PM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member

Glad you found the problem.

Paul

The following users liked this post:
diablos (12-04-2021)

Quick Reply: crank no start