Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

M8 timing - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 05:00 PM
b0fh
Road Captain
Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

logs keep showing those 'retarded' events... documentation says it should reduce itself at every key-on but I don't think that is happening.
is there a way to force a 'reset' of this thing?

Old 12-21-2021, 06:24 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
Curious...
you say that the crank tooth setting doesn't work, and was why it was available only to Shops with a license to use the advanced config.

Are you saying the crank tooth didn't work? or did you mean that Joe Public just couldn't change it?

The latest release of WinPV now reveals the IVO/IVC by default.
It means it's hit and miss because it's never worked right so it's only available to a select few to "hit and miss" with. That's why y'all need to get base maps from FM and send them back to get corrected if this setting is wrong. A dead give away it's wrong is if your MAP is 40+ kPa or higher at idle. You'll never get a good tune if this is the case and FM has to fix it. You can't.
So see, FMs great tech support and base maps for PV is out of necessity.
With TTS Mastertune this is part of the Cam Tune process.
Only stands to reason someone who was key in developing something would know best how it works and how best to tune it. Unless you're dyno tuning, TTS Mastertune will get you the next best tune doing it yourself using smart tune, v tune, whatever the case may be. Nothing is Auto Tuned and that term itself is deceiving if you ask me.
Now with the new M8s with the new ECM well...just one more reason I'd never own one. The who!e point is to make it hard to tune in the first place or change how the EPA wants it to run. No thanks. And yep, it's only going to get worse thanks to he EPA and treehuggers inc. Remember that next time y'all vote for someone like Biden.

​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

​​​​​

Old 12-22-2021, 02:16 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by b0fh
logs keep showing those 'retarded' events... documentation says it should reduce itself at every key-on but I don't think that is happening.
is there a way to force a 'reset' of this thing?
Have you tried reloading the calibration?

Old 12-22-2021, 02:45 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
It means it's hit and miss because it's never worked right so it's only available to a select few to "hit and miss" with. That's why y'all need to get base maps from FM and send them back to get corrected if this setting is wrong. A dead give away it's wrong is if your MAP is 40+ kPa or higher at idle. You'll never get a good tune if this is the case and FM has to fix it. You can't.
Only stands to reason someone who was key in developing something would know best how it works and how best to tune it. Unless you're dyno tuning, TTS Mastertune will get you the next best tune doing it yourself using smart tune, v tune, whatever the case may be. Nothing is Auto Tuned and that term itself is deceiving if you ask me.
Now with the new M8s with the new ECM well...just one more reason I'd never own one. The who!e point is to make it hard to tune in the first place or change how the EPA wants it to run. No thanks. And yep, it's only going to get worse thanks to he EPA and treehuggers inc. Remember that next time y'all vote for someone like Biden.

​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

​​​​​
It works by changing when the map sensor polls. Changing the IVO setting will change this. Problem comes in because there is no direction or good understand or tools to help. There is a cam cruncher feature but all this is is estimator that goes off a cam card reading at a certain lift and not actual opening and closing events.

This can also be seen by using TTS's cam estimator and getting one setting for IVO and then using his tools in Data Master and getting another IVO setting.

Old 12-22-2021, 04:49 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
​​​​​
mmm, ok, but the latest WinPV does now reveal the IVO/IVC so anyone can change it now. Whether you know what you are doing or not is a different story, but as you say "autotune" is nothing of the sort ...and there is sort of a way to sort of adapt the master tune method to sort of get to the right IVO. Me n Frederic came up with something back in 2017 for the TC ...it worked just as well when I did my M8
...and Mr Wizards blip test also works

Old 12-22-2021, 07:37 PM
b0fh
Road Captain

I'm using the IVO/IVC from my original map (20/38 which HAS to be right as the engine is stock) and my idle KPa reading is 25-ish so I guess its all good.

the map FM sent me is software level 823 (and my stock map was/is 824, so instead of flashing it I copied/adapted tables from 823 to 824).

823 map does not show IVO/IVC

Old 12-22-2021, 07:38 PM
b0fh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
Have you tried reloading the calibration?
multiple times... and 'reset adaptive' on all of them, but I guess that only resets fuel tables.

Old 12-26-2021, 08:44 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,688 Likes on 1,670 Posts

The adaptive spark system is NOT corrected each time the key is turned off. It also has no reset function built into it, so you have to wait it out, as it learns. If you have excessive Knock events happening it going to be a long wait, so getting the timing so there are none, is the best thing to speed it up.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:31 AM
b0fh
Road Captain

ok might have learned something new today.
if you activate 'advanced signals' on the PV, it will reveal 2 interesting ones : KnockCountF and KnockCountR
went for a ride today datalogging those, they never registered anything (which kinda matches the 'seat of pants' - never felt any pinging, in fact the map was too retarded and felt 'lazy' at WOT).
put it back to stock-ish advance maps and will try again soon if I can catch a break from this darn rain.

cheers.

Old 01-01-2022, 02:43 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by b0fh
I'm using the IVO/IVC from my original map (20/38 which HAS to be right as the engine is stock) and my idle KPa reading is 25-ish so I guess its all good.

the map FM sent me is software level 823 (and my stock map was/is 824, so instead of flashing it I copied/adapted tables from 823 to 824).

823 map does not show IVO/IVC
Yea, FM didn't have an 824 map when I was looking for one either and the 823 they offered wasn't remotely close.

Have a look at this thread
Originally Posted by 2deuceguy
I've watched on the dyno and those 824's are horrible for spark knock. Just to see I kept pulling timing where it told me to and just kept losing power. You can copy and paste most of your tables into a 921 cal and work from there. I switch from 824 to 921 on the touring bikes but haven't tried on a softail, though I can't see why it wouldn't work. With the 921 cal it'll still pull timing in the beginning but will learn as you go. Once you have it flashed, it'll pull a little timing here and there as it learns. For a test I put one on the road and kept hitting the areas over 50 kpa and it took about 5-6 miles to get it where it wasn't pulling any timing at all. I would look for a 921 map for a softail and use that as a starting point. Honestly I'd go to any software level but the 824.
I suspect there is something very wrong with the 824 softail software because like you, and others, this "knock" stuff just doesn't go away no matter what you do.

I would love to know if 2deuceguy is onto something here, and if you can put the 921 software from a touring into a softail.
​​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
b0fh (01-01-2022)

Quick Reply: M8 timing - advice?