Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

04 road king ecu locked

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 07:33 PM
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 road king ecu locked

I have a 04 road king with a 98 inch motor it was tuned with a direct link flashtuner.I want to change to a power vision tuner and my dyno guy can't get into the ecu .He thinks it has something to to with previous tuning.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
​​​​​

Old 12-01-2021, 07:15 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The direct Link tune has to be accessed by a password . The shop that did the tune would have had to purchase a license from HD to do the tune ( access the ecm ) . As far as I know , your only option would be , is to take it back to the shop who did the tune and have them put the stock tune back in , or purchase a new ecm .

Curious , why are you changing to the PV ? They're great tuners , but done right , the direct link would have given you a near perfect tune .

Welcome to the forum !

Old 12-01-2021, 09:44 AM
Novice

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
The direct Link tune has to be accessed by a password . The shop that did the tune would have had to purchase a license from HD to do the tune ( access the ecm ) . As far as I know , your only option would be , is to take it back to the shop who did the tune and have them put the stock tune back in , or purchase a new ecm .

Curious , why are you changing to the PV ? They're great tuners , but done right , the direct link would have given you a near perfect tune .

Welcome to the forum !
thank you the previous tuner I no longer deal with and now I made some changes to the bike and my new tuner can’t get in. I purchased a used ecu and when we plug it in it starts then stalls right away . I am assuming there is some kind of security feature .Do I have to go to Harley to marry the new ecu to the bike?
thanks

Old 12-01-2021, 11:40 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Not sure , I can tell you , sounds like your bike has a security system ( tssm ) , you'll have to program them together , can do that yourself . Maybe someone here can lead you in the right direction .

I'll post if I can find the procedure .

Old 12-01-2021, 01:26 PM
Novice

That would be great if somebody has the procedure then I don’t have to waste my time at Harley

Old 12-01-2021, 02:03 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by 1717
That would be great if somebody has the procedure then I don’t have to waste my time at Harley
Direct link is made by Techno Research. I don't think there is a way to lock it, but I am not sure. You new ECM needs to be married. If it is new from Harley. It needs to have at least a stock download into it. Techno research can marry but if the ECM is black. Vision is not going to work with it. Call or have your tuner call Techno and they might be able to point you guys in the right direction.

If you do need a dealer. Have them do a stock download. Download should be free. If they want to do a stage 1 or something. It will cost. Talking download on cost and not shop time.

Old 12-01-2021, 02:04 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
Not sure , I can tell you , sounds like your bike has a security system ( tssm ) , you'll have to program them together , can do that yourself . Maybe someone here can lead you in the right direction .

I'll post if I can find the procedure .
I am pretty sure that procedure is to marry a tsm or tssm to a bike and not to marry the ECM to the bike.

Old 12-01-2021, 03:00 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by 1717
thank you the previous tuner I no longer deal with and now I made some changes to the bike and my new tuner can’t get in. I purchased a used ecu and when we plug it in it starts then stalls right away . I am assuming there is some kind of security feature .Do I have to go to Harley to marry the new ecu to the bike?
thanks
It needs a Password Learn and it is a sticky at the top of the electrical section of this forum.

Old 12-02-2021, 04:57 AM
Novice

Thanks I will try the password learning mode.
Mike

Old 12-16-2021, 02:04 PM
Novice

Still waiting on my tuner to fit me in hopefully soon

Quick Reply: 04 road king ecu locked