Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Starter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 11:55 AM
Bert48
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Starter problem?

Hello everyone!

I own a 15 HD Sportster 48 with about 12k miles and wanted to I suppose corroborate an issue I'm having with the bike. I think I have a bad starter. Yesterday I went to go start her up after 3 weeks (on a tender) and I get a half turn. it engine stop again then on so it can prime, and hit start again and I get same half turn, maybe even less than half this time. Same step, and again hit start and this time CLICK! coming directly from the starter motor. I test the battery, 12.8 Volts, so I know that's not the issue. This has been progressive, as I think about 3 months ago, it started to SOMETIMES become a lil hard to start, so maybe that was the starter beginning to go out.

Does this sound about right? My question would be, is it feasible to rebuild the starter, or should I just buy a new one, and if so, where would the best place to buy one be? I'm somewhat handy, is this something I can tackle myself, or should I just have a shop do it can anyone recommend one here in the 818 (los angeles)?

Thanks guys!

Old 11-27-2021, 08:14 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

You have a battery that is 5 to 6 years old. It may have 12.8 at rest, but under load it could drop too far to start the bike. Before you start swapping parts, you should first check all FOUR battery cable ends for corrosion and tightness. If they are all clean and tight, then take the battery to an auto parts store that can do a load test.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (11-28-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 09:15 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,089 Likes on 2,043 Posts

I'm with pass rider. I'm so confident that the battery is junk that you should skip the trip to get it load tested. 5 years old and it sounds like it had a rough life...intermittent maintenance and probably alot of sitting around discharging not getting used regularly. Get yourself a good battery...don't go to Walmart in other words. Batterymart.com has great batteries for reasonable prices and they ship fast and free. You should check the new battery to make sure it's fully charged...most are not and a little time on the charger before being put into service is the right way to do it. Good luck

Max Headflow (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 12:22 PM
Bert48
Novice

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
I'm with pass rider. I'm so confident that the battery is junk that you should skip the trip to get it load tested. 5 years old and it sounds like it had a rough life...intermittent maintenance and probably alot of sitting around discharging not getting used regularly. Get yourself a good battery...don't go to Walmart in other words. Batterymart.com has great batteries for reasonable prices and they ship fast and free. You should check the new battery to make sure it's fully charged...most are not and a little time on the charger before being put into service is the right way to do it. Good luck
You may be right. I have only owned the bike for 4 months, and perhaps that is the original battery, I'll have to pull it out to verify. I figured that as long as it was putting out good voltage sitting, it would be fine, but under load, didn't occur to me. Hopefully it's 4 years or older so I can just get a new one and be done with it. I will make sure all wiring is tight as you suggested.

One more question: I have that pesky keyless fob, and the shop manual says that if I disconnect the battery, it must me ON (thinking it's so that it doesn't forget the fob when new battery reprograms.. Not sure if any of you have had any experience with that.

THanks!

Old 11-28-2021, 03:07 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,425 Likes on 5,020 Posts

Pass and Beagle just saved the OP the price of a starter...

EdPayne66 (10-23-2023)
Old 11-28-2021, 05:51 PM
Bert48
Novice

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Pass and Beagle just saved the OP the price of a starter...
LMAO!!! I sure hope so! I'll have to pull the battery tomorrow.. Was gonna do it today, but I got caught up working on a Honda Spree- HAHA

Old 11-29-2021, 02:24 PM
Bert48
Novice

Um..... So wah ha Happen was... LOL

I look at the negative terminal... nice and tight. I look at the positive... loose. Tighten slightly (well a lot) and then I go to start it. BAM, 1st try.

it's that Harley vibration!!

Anyway, thank you guys for the wise words. I'll make sure to always start with the Basics!

The following 2 users liked this post by Bert48:
EdPayne66 (10-23-2023), Jay Guild (12-02-2021)