Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Removing bottom cover of air cleaner cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 07:03 AM
carlspeed
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing bottom cover of air cleaner cover

I installed a k&n filter along with a tuner and a pair of Rinehart slip ons. I don't really want an aftermarket filter housing because I want to be able to ride in the rain. Is there anything wrong with removing the bottom pay of the m8 cover so it can get a little more air provided its tuned for it? Bike is a 2019 electra glide police with the 114ci motor. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by carlspeed; 11-24-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:27 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

engine air filters/housings are designed to flow more than what the demand is. what really controls air intake??? the tune or the mechanical side of the engine????
thanks to big brother, noise abatement is the driving force, not epa emissions since it would be counter-productive to restrict the engine from getting the air it needs.
can you get a tad more power, hummm, why sure but it will not be much.
a dyno is a tool but real world is a diff animal so i do not place much stock in them, they are predictors not set in stone.
too many times, i have seen so called dyno engines get left in the dust from shade tree setups.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:03 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,845 Likes on 1,085 Posts

There's absolutely no need to do what you're asking about.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:20 AM
carlspeed
Novice

There's no reason to try and get more power out of the engine? Is that what you're saying?

Last edited by carlspeed; 11-24-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:41 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,307 Likes on 6,747 Posts

Back in the 60's and 70's, the some of muscles car had what was called Ram Air. "A ram-air intake is any intake design which uses the dynamic air pressure created by vehicle motion to increase the static air pressure inside of the intake manifold on an internal combustion engine, thus allowing a greater massflow through the engine and hence increasing engine power."

Old 11-24-2021, 08:44 AM
carlspeed
Novice

Originally Posted by 470004
Back in the 60's and 70's, the some of muscles car had what was called Ram Air. "A ram-air intake is any intake design which uses the dynamic air pressure created by vehicle motion to increase the static air pressure inside of the intake manifold on an internal combustion engine, thus allowing a greater massflow through the engine and hence increasing engine power."
I get it, and that's what I was thinking at first. All the aftermarket filters I see for Harley's, including the one I had for our Sportster, was just an open filter. No different than what this is now essentially. The only difference is that the top is open. I'm fairly confident it will pull more air at low speeds, but yes, the speed on the highway is where I'm wondering if that top half of cover will cause enough air disturbance to make it a bit harder for air to go into the filter. Oh well. I'm gonna give it a go and see what's what.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:03 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,890 Likes on 3,702 Posts

See the video in my mod ("Code") link.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:10 AM
carlspeed
Novice

Just wondering but what is the benefit to have the mesh on there? And it looks like leaving the whole thing out would be the same aerodynamically. Did you just want to keep the bottom part there for looks?

Old 11-24-2021, 10:45 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,845 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by carlspeed
There's no reason to try and get more power out of the engine? Is that what you're saying?
That 114" engine can only pull in so much air and the OEM backing plate and you're K&N filter element that you have installed can handle anything that the engine requires at the present time. That's what I'm saying. There is nothing that you can do to either to improve on that situation to increase the horsepower of that engine. That's what I'm saying.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:04 AM
carlspeed
Novice

Okay I gotcha. I was kind of just looking at this Harley branded stage 1 kit, which seems to be what I've done with how I set mine up. The only difference is the backing plate is a bit further down, which I could easily just trim off, but here is a video showing the install at 5:30 time which the video should play at automatically:

Quick Reply: Removing bottom cover of air cleaner cover