Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Those who seen it all (No Start)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 04:18 PM
Moses110
Intermediate
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Angry Those who seen it all (No Start)

Just put together a Zippers 110 kit in my 2009 Fat Bob CVO. Mechanically it's good, 223 cranking compression on both cyls, 30psi cranking oil pressure, new HPI 58-62 TB, 6.2 inj, Accell Super Coil. New CKS old one was ohm'd @ 935 new 970 ohm. Old still fired but took it out of possible issues. Here's where it gets weird. I'm a professional diesel/auto tech and a lifetime of working on all off road and street metrics (I know) 1st Harley I've really gotten into, learned a lot so far. Problem: I have good spark, fuel, air, wires on correct cylinders, good plugs. No codes. It will not even begin to FIRE in the hole or it does when the exhaust valves or open as I get a little smoke but never and explosion. Even tried a liberal amount of either. Plugs are wet as well. So please let's hear some ideas.

Last edited by Moses110; 11-14-2021 at 07:04 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 11-14-2021, 07:16 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Delete

Old 11-14-2021, 07:31 PM
Moses110
Intermediate

Gonna have to explain that one.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:10 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Moses110
Gonna have to explain that one.
Means I deleted my post. The most obvious things for you would be reversed plug wires, check fuel pressure - at least disconnect and reconnect the quick connector. Also I would just hook it up with the stock coil to eliminate any variables from aftermarket parts.

Also would ask about the mapping for the new injectors/components - if it's not mapped properly it is fueling incorrectly.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 11-14-2021 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:20 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,186 Likes on 7,677 Posts

I'm thinking the cam timing is off, and what Ed said, what tuner and tune (map) are you running?

The following users liked this post:
Super Glidester (11-15-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 09:36 PM
Moses110
Intermediate

Got fuel, spark and air. Tried the old coil as well just to eleimnate "firering at wrong time", the old Tune on Dyno was built for 777 cams 10.5:1 SE pistons and stock TB and injectors. It should at least fire/hit even if it ran terrible. This is what the problem is, everything mechanical, and everything electronic seems to be good. Because it starts on closed loop isn't the only sensor that it needs to get fuel and spark the Crank Position sensor. Is there anything you can think of that would make it spark on exhaust stroke instead of compression stroke? Even if injectors were not spraying at all, if spark was being sent at correct time wouldn't at least start or hit untill it ran out of fuel? Is there anyway you can think of that it would fire 180 off? I even looked in the CKS hole on TDC front cylinder with all timing marks lined and Cam timing marks marks facing each other.

Old 11-14-2021, 09:41 PM
Moses110
Intermediate

The Tune was built at HD dealership and flashed into stock ECU. In order for a new dyno tune for current modifications to be made it needs to run, it should run on old tune or at least start.

Last edited by Moses110; 11-14-2021 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:44 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Corrections to your assumptions in bold.

Originally Posted by Moses110
Got fuel, spark and air. Tried the old coil as well just to eleimnate "firering at wrong time", the old Tune on Dyno was built for 777 cams 10.5:1 SE pistons and stock TB and injectors. It should at least fire/hit even if it ran terrible. NOT IF THE MAPPING IS FOR A SMALLER INJECTOR - IT WILL BE POURING FUEL IN -PLUS THE IAC STEPS AND CRANKING FUEL TO START WILL BE TOTALLY DIFFERENT ON THE NEW TB VS STOCK This is what the problem is, everything mechanical, and everything electronic seems to be good. Because it starts on closed loop STARTS ON OPEN LOOP SETTINGS isn't the only sensor that it needs to get fuel and spark the Crank Position sensor TEMPERATURE SENSORS & MAP SENSOR PLAY A BIG ROLE. Is there anything you can think of that would make it spark on exhaust stroke instead of compression stroke? Even if injectors were not spraying at all, if spark was being sent at correct time wouldn't at least start or hit untill it ran out of fuel? Is there anyway you can think of that it would fire 180 off REVERSED PLUG WIRES ? I even looked in the CKS hole on TDC front cylinder with all timing marks lined and Cam timing marks marks facing each other HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THIS WOULD TELL YOU.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 11-14-2021 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:43 AM
Moses110
Intermediate

Cam/crank timing is on the money and verified by compression #'s 223 each cyl. UNLESS like stated bf, is it even possible to have timed everything on TDC exhaust stroke??? This is first HD I've done top end on but a long way away from 1st top end ever. I am wanting you seasoned HD techs to think out of the box, I'm a tech and this is very strange. I strongly believe it is firing on exhaust stroke, I should get some kind of explosion if I spray fuel in throttle body and I have a verified spark when cranking. Please keep idea's coming, I am not above STILL making dumbass mistakes and I know this problem seems typical but it is not. I will try to call HPI again today and see what they say, I know eveything needs recalibrated and a new tune but i would think it it would at least fire/hit when cranking. I really appreciate you guys input, very stuck and confused.

Old 11-15-2021, 07:11 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,186 Likes on 7,677 Posts

If you are sure of the timing, etc., then I would seriously consider Post #8 as Ed knows what he is talking about. You may want to purchase a tuner and load the correct tune (Fuel MAP) into the ECM for the changes/upgrades you have made, you can do this without a dyno tune. Additionally, there is no way of knowing just what tune was done at the HD dealer if you do not have the printout sheets with all the data.

You may want to contact someone like @fuelmoto to see if they have a tuner with preloaded tune that will work with your build.

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (11-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Those who seen it all (No Start)