Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Looking for some help in troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 11:30 AM
SonnyJim101
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for some help in troubleshooting

Hi all, I just bought a 2006 Dyna wideglide. I bought it sight unseen for a cheap price with the knowledge it was nut running on the rear cylinder. The bike is finally in my possession. The bike has a VH fuel pak.
I charged the battery and tried starting the bike. it would not start.
I checked for spark, and had it on both cylinders
I checked compression and had 150psi on the front and 140-145 on the rear
The front plug was wet, and rear was dry.

So, I suspect i have a fuel problem.

My first test was to stick my test light on the negative terminal and then probe the injector wire. i hit the ignition and got no lights flashing at the wire. I then tested the front and did get lights flashing when i hit.

My plan then is to change out the pigtail as I pre ordered one when the previous owner described the symptoms.

Is there anything i may be missing here?

Last edited by SonnyJim101; 11-10-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:43 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

Check the connection for the Fuel pak. They can get loose and dirty. You can also try removing it just to eliminate it as a problem.
You should check for codes. It may tell you something about the rear cylinder, as well as other potential issues.
Harley Trouble Codes

The following users liked this post:
SonnyJim101 (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 12:19 PM
SonnyJim101
Advanced

Originally Posted by nevil
Check the connection for the Fuel pak. They can get loose and dirty. You can also try removing it just to eliminate it as a problem.
You should check for codes. It may tell you something about the rear cylinder, as well as other potential issues.
Harley Trouble Codes
If i disconnect the black plug from the fuel pack, where does the grey plug it was connected to go? Do i just leave it unplugged?

I checked continuity between the fuel injector plug back to the ecm harness and found none

Old 11-10-2021, 12:50 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

I made the assumption that you have the old style piggyback fuel pak, not the FP3. If so, it connects between the ECM body and the plug that goes into it.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:13 PM
SonnyJim101
Advanced

I made the assumption that you have the old style piggyback fuel pak, not the FP3. If so, it connects between the ECM body and the plug that goes into it.
Hmm, i cannot really get a pic of the plug now. But i can say the black plug coming off the fuelpak is an "ECM style" plug, that connects into a grey plug. I am not sure where the Grey plug goes as the ECM has it's own plug plugged into it.

I can say that i did change the fuel injector plug and now have continuity back to the ECM plug, which I did not have before. I tried the turning the bike over and it wouldn't start, however, the battery is low and the bike has not run for at least 6 months. Before draining the gas and while i charge the battery:. Keep in mind this is my first harley and i'd hate to lookover something that is common sense to people who have owned one before.
  • I am wondering if there is any sort of safety lockout that could be stopping it from starting and even running on one cylinder... The bike has the ignition switch in the fuel tank but the key is only to lock it... i.e. when you walk away from the bike, does that make sense? Is there another use for the key? Seems like it is pretty easy to accidentally leave the bike unlocked... ?
  • The bike also came with two disc type things with a button in the middle. If that is a security system i am wondering if that would stop the bike from starting but still allow it to turn over?

Old 11-10-2021, 01:18 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,365 Likes on 970 Posts

If your battery is weak the Fuelpak may not start the bike. I had the same issue with a PC3. Remove the fuelpak and see if it starts

Old 11-10-2021, 01:25 PM
SonnyJim101
Advanced

Okay, i see now... i found a pic of what the fuelpak wiring set up looks like. I guess the grey plug i was checking continuity on (the one i pulled out of the ECM) was connected directly to the Fuelpak... So, if i unplug my fuelpak, the grey plug it was plugged into under the seat will go into the ECM. It was hard to tell as it's all crammed together.

Old 11-10-2021, 05:34 PM
SonnyJim101
Advanced

I have unhooked the fuelpak and it has not changed anything, so I presume i can rule that out.

Next, i unhooked the injectors from the throttle body, and tried starting the bike to see if they are spraying... I found the front was only giving me a dribble. Then, since I had some spare injectors (5 hole rather than the 3 that came off), I tried those and they gave me a bit more a spray, but not what I'd expect to see... I will clean them, but I strongly doubt that is the issue with them.

Could the fuel pump not be creating enough pressure causing the poor spray? Perhaps it is creating no pressure at all and the injectors are just spraying from the fuel in the line? That is almost what it looks like to me.

Any ideas on how to check that (the fuel pump pressure)?

Old 11-10-2021, 08:48 PM
SonnyJim101
Advanced

Codes might not be helpful at this point because in my troubleshooting I had plugs and stuff unhooked when turning the bike over.

But I have p0107, p0261 and p0263

​​​​​​I believe those are all stores from turning the bike over will all the plugs undone.

Here is a video showing my attempt to test the fuel pump. https://youtu.be/SkLzQicmQ8M

Last edited by SonnyJim101; 11-10-2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:40 PM
SonnyJim101
Advanced

Well. I wish i could delete posts as this has pretty much been me having a conversation with myself...

I believe I solved the issue... Loose fuel hose inside the tank. The PO's issue was likely the broken spark plug wire, but he never checked that and went right in to the tank to fix the notorious pinhole leaks. However, apparently, when he put it back together he didn't put a clamp on the hose at the bottom of the tank that feeds the injectors. When I went in there the hose was no longer attached. I clamped it on and the bike started right up.

I had already put in the 5 hole 25 degree injectors... not sure if I should put the original 3 hole injectors back in or not... Perhaps I can use the fuelpak to account for the new injectors??

Quick Reply: Looking for some help in troubleshooting