Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

M8 pinging might not be detonation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 07:59 AM
touchdown
Supporter
Veteran: Army
Received 1,785 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by gonemad
I mentioned a few posts earlier that I think I must have something else going on with the bike, because what FM is seeing in the logs and what I am hearing must be two different things, which is why I posted this thread.

I think FM has done their part. I need to figure out what this noise is, because the logs suggest I shouldn’t be hearing detonation.

Just for everyone’s edification regarding the tune, here are the tuner’s comments about the logs.

“ I have made some adjustments to your tune based off your descriptions as well as the log data. While there is some knock retard activity in your logs, it’s not overly concerning and it’s what we would generally consider fairly normal. This is also well within the ECM’s ability to adjust, and at this level I wouldn’t expect the knock to be audible. Please give this tune a try and let us know if it resolves the sound, we’re happy to assist with additional troubleshooting.”
As stated, I have the the same problem ping just on hard accelerating the rest of the time its ok.It does have a caned tune from FO. Talked to my Dyno Jet guy he said he thinks he can fix it for me. Only thing holding me up is thinking maybe a cam also. As all know these M8 sound like ****, but the ones with a cam in them are not too bad sounding.

Old 11-12-2021, 08:06 AM
Crispy
Tourer
Received 192 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
As stated, I have the the same problem ping just on hard accelerating the rest of the time its ok.It does have a caned tune from FO. Talked to my Dyno Jet guy he said he thinks he can fix it for me. Only thing holding me up is thinking maybe a cam also. As all know these M8 sound like ****, but the ones with a cam in them are not too bad sounding.
Are your logs showing pinging or just your ears? Could very well be something else.

Old 11-12-2021, 11:12 AM
RocketyMan
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by gonemad
I mentioned a few posts earlier that I think I must have something else going on with the bike, because what FM is seeing in the logs and what I am hearing must be two different things, which is why I posted this thread.

I think FM has done their part. I need to figure out what this noise is, because the logs suggest I shouldn’t be hearing detonation.

Just for everyone’s edification regarding the tune, here are the tuner’s comments about the logs.

“ I have made some adjustments to your tune based off your descriptions as well as the log data. While there is some knock retard activity in your logs, it’s not overly concerning and it’s what we would generally consider fairly normal. This is also well within the ECM’s ability to adjust, and at this level I wouldn’t expect the knock to be audible. Please give this tune a try and let us know if it resolves the sound, we’re happy to assist with additional troubleshooting.”
Thanks for posting the tech's comments. If it's no more than 2 to 3 degree of retard that is occasional, then it would be considered OK.

It would be nice to actually look at your logs to see where exactly it is knocking.

Old 11-12-2021, 03:45 PM
touchdown
Supporter

My Ears, and I know what a ping sound like.

Old 11-12-2021, 03:46 PM
touchdown
Supporter

Originally Posted by Crispy
Are your logs showing pinging or just your ears? Could very well be something else.
My Ears

The following users liked this post:
Crispy (11-12-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 07:19 PM
Junker
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

any progress?

Old 12-03-2021, 07:25 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,361 Likes on 2,966 Posts

Not on mine, but my mufflers are at Fullsac, and gutted the cat last week. Got a new tune for that from FM.
Waiting on Ohlins rear shocks, so I can put that all back together. I’m going to ride it till next service later this winter or early spring and I think let Twin Performance Tuners do my routine service, swap my tires, and give it a turn around the block to see what they hear.

If I blow it up or break something in the meantime, Stage III here I COME.

The following users liked this post:
Junker (12-20-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 03:44 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Oil lowers octane. A lot of breather mist can cause it.
Yet people still think there's no need to run an external breather.
Besides the hot, oily air lowering octane, it causes a carbon buildup in the combustion chamber that can get hot enough to glow red and cause pre-ignition/detonation.
Harley would not route the breathers back into the intake if not forced to do so by the EPA. It's up to you the end user to fix this very bad idea.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:02 AM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,361 Likes on 2,966 Posts

My pinging was happening when the bike was new. Not something that developed over time, so I don’t think it’s a carbon build up issue. Nevertheless, I may install a breather just to avoid that or other issues exacerbating the current situation.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:38 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

As was stated earlier, it also lowers the octane. This causes detonation even on a brand new engine. Especially on a stock tune with the timing advanced too much to make sure every speck of fuel is burned and then some. Wouldn't want any going out the pipes into the atmosphere and ending the world.
I'm surprised FM doesn't recognize this performance issue as it robs hp as well. 2-3hp across the entire rpm range as shown by very extensive dyno testing on crankcase breathing.

Quick Reply: M8 pinging might not be detonation?