Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

M8 pinging might not be detonation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 01:53 PM
RocketyMan
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I would love to see how much the ECM is trying to intervene with the knocking events. On my data, I can see the "Knock Intensity" and then when the ECM actually does something by retarding the knock. A high knock intensity doesn't always correlate to a knocking event--which is interesting. Upon my research, the HD says a knocking event is severe enough when it has to pull back over 2 - 3 degrees of timing. The ECM is able to adjust timing in 0.25 degree increments.

From personal experience, I found that simply adjusting the AFR tables will have a DRASTIC effect barring all other parameters. For instance, I changed only my 100 kPa column from 12.4:1 AFR to 12.8:1 AFR, and my bike hated it without adjusting the spark tables. In no-way was I able to even hear this happening at WOT, but with data I was able to see the event happen once I reviewed it.

I'm going to try and find more information on this as I'm curious of the strategy.
* Knock Intensity
* Knock Event Counter
* Knock Retard

Last edited by RocketyMan; 11-11-2021 at 02:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gonemad (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 03:07 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,360 Likes on 2,965 Posts

FM is johnny on the spot. New tune just in. Will load tomorrow morning when I’m home and road test if it’s not raining.

And let me say, my mission in this thread has been to ID what else this could be beyond a tune issue. FM has been very responsive.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:55 PM
RocketyMan
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by gonemad
FM is johnny on the spot. New tune just in. Will load tomorrow morning when I’m home and road test if it’s not raining.

And let me say, my mission in this thread has been to ID what else this could be beyond a tune issue. FM has been very responsive.
Good question. Just out of curiosity, what spark plugs are you running? And did you check for any intake and/or exhaust leaks? I'm wondering what else could be contributing.

Also, any note from FM in regards to where they are seeing the knock at and how much?

Old 11-11-2021, 04:46 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Fuel Moto was quick to respond as mentioned and has confirmed my suspicion that I must have something else going on. They fine tuned the Map, I loaded it and did a few blasts up and down the highway.

Maybe a tear down and a Stage III is on the horizon.

An old man has to have something to do in winter, right?

Old 11-11-2021, 06:05 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Bore scope your cylinders. Could be carbon buildup on pistons. A few folks have had some pretty severe carbon buildup on M8’s without high mileage.

Old 11-11-2021, 06:11 PM
Harttoo
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

What else do They think is going on? What else can cause a pinging? I have a 114 that started pinging at 12000 miles.I now have 20000 miles and it pings on a windy day. Any load on the engine cause consistent pinging. I have a street tuner and have retarded spark 3 degrees from 2000 to 3000 rpm.This has helped,but I had a 107 with 18000 miles that never pinged.

Old 11-11-2021, 06:13 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bad tappets
Bore scope your cylinders. Could be carbon buildup on pistons. A few folks have had some pretty severe carbon buildup on M8’s without high mileage.
Bike has done this since new.

The following users liked this post:
NO_SPRK (07-02-2022)
Old 11-11-2021, 06:17 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harttoo
What else do They think is going on? What else can cause a pinging? .
Based on what they saw in the tune there was nothing happening too far out of line that the ecm couldn’t handle. They were surprised I could hear whatever knock events were occurring.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:39 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Harttoo
What else do They think is going on? What else can cause a pinging? I have a 114 that started pinging at 12000 miles.I now have 20000 miles and it pings on a windy day. Any load on the engine cause consistent pinging. I have a street tuner and have retarded spark 3 degrees from 2000 to 3000 rpm.This has helped,but I had a 107 with 18000 miles that never pinged.
Oil lowers octane. A lot of breather mist can cause it.

Old 11-12-2021, 03:31 AM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

I mentioned a few posts earlier that I think I must have something else going on with the bike, because what FM is seeing in the logs and what I am hearing must be two different things, which is why I posted this thread.

I think FM has done their part. I need to figure out what this noise is, because the logs suggest I shouldn’t be hearing detonation.

Just for everyone’s edification regarding the tune, here are the tuner’s comments about the logs.

“ I have made some adjustments to your tune based off your descriptions as well as the log data. While there is some knock retard activity in your logs, it’s not overly concerning and it’s what we would generally consider fairly normal. This is also well within the ECM’s ability to adjust, and at this level I wouldn’t expect the knock to be audible. Please give this tune a try and let us know if it resolves the sound, we’re happy to assist with additional troubleshooting.”

Last edited by gonemad; 11-12-2021 at 03:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gonemad:
strych9 (11-12-2021), touchdown (11-12-2021)

Quick Reply: M8 pinging might not be detonation?