Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

We got a leaker!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 08:08 PM
Samsquamch
Advanced
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default We got a leaker!

Ive been bitten by the Law of Unintended Rebuilds (AKA "While you're in there...")

The bike is a 2000 electra glide EFI. It sat dormant for a few years (three that the PO would admit to) and, well, when you go disturbing seals and O-rings that are old enough to order cocktails, they are going to leak. The latest being the seals in the fuel lines. Specifically the quick connects under the tank. Both of them.

The questions:

1) is there a "rebuild kit" for these tank connectors? it looks like a troublesome spot to get at and perhaps someone makes a solution to that problem
2) if there are seals where the connectors thread into the tank, its probably best to replace those I think. are there seals there? probably easier to replace the internal sealing components with them off right?
3) what about the hoses themselves?
4) any other gotchas Im looking at here?

Old 11-09-2021, 04:19 AM
Samsquamch
Advanced

Originally Posted by Samsquamch
Ive been bitten by the Law of Unintended Rebuilds (AKA "While you're in there...")

The bike is a 2000 electra glide EFI. It sat dormant for a few years (three that the PO would admit to) and, well, when you go disturbing seals and O-rings that are old enough to order cocktails, they are going to leak. The latest being the seals in the fuel lines. Specifically the quick connects under the tank. Both of them.

The questions:

1) is there a "rebuild kit" for these tank connectors? it looks like a troublesome spot to get at and perhaps someone makes a solution to that problem
2) if there are seals where the connectors thread into the tank, its probably best to replace those I think. are there seals there? probably easier to replace the internal sealing components with them off right?
As it turns out (In case anyone else does a search asking the same question) the solution for this particular set up - Magneti Marelli with two fuel lines exiting the tank - is to buy replacement fittings. They come with fuel hoses attached.

Parts:
Fuel Quick disconnect with Fuel lines X2
Hose clamps X2
Gas tank top gasket (you might get away with reusing the old but at this point its pretty old and do you want to have everything stopped for a week because you dont have a ten buck replacement?_
Fuel filter and fuel screen (again, you are going in this far, why not replace those as well?)

the total at this point is about a hundred bucks (HD = "Hundred Dollars")

Old 11-12-2021, 04:32 PM
RocketyMan
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

The questions:

You say yours is a 2000? Well I've had the exact issue where the rubber o-ring on my '09 dribbled fuel out. I rebuilt it using this kit. All it does is simply pull out the old junk o-ring and install a new one. I just don't know if it'll work on yours exactly.

Have you looked into this before?

https://fueltool.com/products/harley...e-rebuild-kit/

The following users liked this post:
Samsquamch (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 04:37 PM
Samsquamch
Advanced

Originally Posted by RocketyMan
You say yours is a 2000? Well I've had the exact issue where the rubber o-ring on my '09 dribbled fuel out. I rebuilt it using this kit. All it does is simply pull out the old junk o-ring and install a new one. I just don't know if it'll work on yours exactly.

Have you looked into this before?

https://fueltool.com/products/harley...e-rebuild-kit/

I did look into those, but the tool excludes earlier EFI like mine. New check valves with lines and new o-rings included are cheap enough as I learned

Old 11-12-2021, 09:08 PM
RocketyMan
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Well sounds like you got it handled!

Samsquamch (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 09:12 PM
Samsquamch
Advanced

Originally Posted by RocketyMan
Well sounds like you got it handled!
Whelp we shall see. Im all prepped to do the surgery as of tonight. tank off and ready to pull the fuel pump assembly in the morning.

Old 11-12-2021, 09:32 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Whelp we shall see. Im all prepped to do the surgery as of tonight. tank off and ready to pull the fuel pump assembly in the morning.
You're going to need a really good side cutters for the clamps if you try to cut them off. Another trick is if you look at the clamps, you will see the band wraps around and is secured by bent over tabs. You can get under that end of the band and pull the clamp apart that way.

You did get 10 new sealing screws correct?

Samsquamch (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 09:55 PM
Samsquamch
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
You're going to need a really good side cutters for the clamps if you try to cut them off. Another trick is if you look at the clamps, you will see the band wraps around and is secured by bent over tabs. You can get under that end of the band and pull the clamp apart that way.

You did get 10 new sealing screws correct?
I did not. I didnt realize those were sealed. and I cant seem to find a set in stock anywhere. all the kits seem to fit 2001 and up

Old 11-12-2021, 10:01 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

They have an clearish/opaque plastic collar on them that fits down into the hole in the canopy. They kind of look like little top hats. If you reuse them be sure not to lose the sealing piece - sometimes it will stick in the canopy.

HEee is a link to a pic.

http://www.eharleyparts.com/cart/Har...1311D_10200374

Samsquamch (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 10:04 PM
Samsquamch
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
They have an clearish/opaque plastic collar on them that fits down into the hole in the canopy. They kind of look like little top hats. If you reuse them be sure not to lose the sealing piece - sometimes it will stick in the canopy.
Got it. Ive seen similar in electronics. despite the mess my shop is generally in my workspace is well organized. Thanks for the tip I will be careful to accounf for all of the little bastards

Quick Reply: We got a leaker!