Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.
View Poll Results: What would cause bike to not spark when it's hot?
Ignition system
0%
Fuel/air related
0%
relays or fuse problems
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

2001 SPORTSTER 883 HUGGER no spark/dies when hot but lights still work

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 03:24 PM
chrimarlane84
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 SPORTSTER 883 HUGGER no spark/dies when hot but lights still work

2001 SPORTSTER 883 HUGGER no spark/dies when hot but the lights still work.
Have been going round and round with this #&#*! $ bike for a while... now every time the bike runs til it gets hot then just quits after about 12 minutes (no sputtering or backfiring...lights still work )...won't start or spark until it cools down...recently deleted voes switch and did away with bank angle sensor a while ago and never had a tachometer, put a compu fire mechanical advance ignition module dual fire on it and before that put a different coil that we were told was good on but I'm not sure if it was good so replaced that coil too...almost new spark plugs and wires and almost new battery...now we are running low on money, sanity, and ideas after most of riding season wasted...did put new key mechanism on also but went back to old one...also not sure if speedometer which I was told is the brains is functioning correctly and wondering if that could cause this problem? I welcome all advice or ideas even slight possibilities.
​​​ Thank You
​​​

Old 10-04-2021, 07:05 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

not the speedo, besides, you are aftermarket.
it probably will be the compu-fire, BUT,
before you trash it, is the spacing between the magnets on the rotor and hall pickup on the module correct? there is a range of .030>.125 air gap, smaller the better and is adjusted by shimming the module in the engine case.
are you using the correct rotor to coil? blue+dual fire and red+single fire and you need the correct coil so is it a two terminal or three terminal?
i have that system on my 1974ch and been there since 1975 and nearly 200k miles. also of note, at least on my 74ch, the module has to be installed upside down but the big twins install right side up, has to do with the hall pickup location.
also of note, you must make sure the rotor is correct fitted as it can be 180* out.
do you have the install directions from compu-fire?