Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bad ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 08:51 PM
timhollerbach
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bad ignition switch?

I have an 07 Road King classic. Had some issues riding, would intermittent cut out, like all power cut for just a split second....then ride fine. Kept trying to get it home, did it more and more....finally wouldn't start back up. Towed home. Checked all connections, battery etc, fine. When I turn the ignition switch on, only the oil light and tac light turns on. Nothing happens when kill switch is on either. When I put the switch on accessory, the speedo light comes on and clock flashes. No horn, no head light nothing works. Any thoughts? Kept reading that the issue I had riding could be the ignition? I'm lost....thanks!

Old 10-02-2021, 07:43 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

No expert here , but I would start by pulling the console off and checking the connections on the switch first , use a little electrical contact cleaner to get rid of any corrosion , check for broken wires , pins etc .

You should also be able to take apart the ignition switch and check the points for corrosion / breaks inside were the wiring is attached , sounds like you have a poor connection inside the ignition , you'll know it when you see it , hopefully , all it needs is a good cleaning .

Old 10-02-2021, 07:57 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Here is a link on how to clean your switch.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...le-riding.html

The following users liked this post:
MyFavRk (10-02-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 09:17 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,089 Likes on 2,043 Posts

Exactly what these two guys said. I had a similar issue. Pulled the console and the connections at the switch were all corroded and dirty. Took it all apart...mostly because I'm cheap but really because it's a cvo and it has that written on the switch...but I really hate just buying new without trying to fix the one I have. Cleaned it up gave it a little bit of dielectric grease and no problems since.

Old 10-02-2021, 12:27 PM
timhollerbach
Intermediate

Thanks guys! I've already taken the consol off and checked wires, corrosion etc....all looks good. I'll try the switch itself....anyone else have thoughts?

Old 10-02-2021, 01:32 PM
timhollerbach
Intermediate

Well, on to something, took the switch apart, it at least now fires up, and runs, but I have no warning lights, like oil pressure, neutral light....so just need to figure that out, but fires right up, headlights, horn, etc work......making progress I guess

Old 10-02-2021, 01:34 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Possibly a weak or tired main relay , Idk , but I'm still aiming towards dirty or warn ignition , check the connections to the wiring inside the ignition , they will break and be holding on by a thread , they can be soldered though .

While your at it , check the two connectors under the front of the frame ( crank sensor , coil , make sure they're clean .
Also the two ground posts under the rear of the fuel tank , could be loose , dirty or broken connections to wires .
Take some electrical contact cleaner and give every a good cleaning , including your fuses / box , let it dry before re installing the fuses .

Good luck , let us know how you make out .

Ok , it starts , good news , double check the connectors under the console and make sure all the pins are pushed in correctly .

Last edited by MyFavRk; 10-02-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:42 PM
timhollerbach
Intermediate

Ok, like I said, cleaned the ignition switch, it started, but had other issues (no accessory power). Just bought a new switch since they're inexpensive. Put it on, same issues....started, but no accessories.......so after more investigating, I'm embarrassed to say what it was....when I checked fuses (thought maybe one popped), I forgot to put it back in.....lol. so now everything works, new ignition switch, kept the old one just in case....rode for about two hours on Saturday.....rode just fine....guess it's fixed....

Old 10-11-2021, 08:44 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Thanks for the report!
Ride on!

Old 01-18-2022, 04:53 PM
timhollerbach
Intermediate

well, I guess back to an issue again...I thought this was fixed....after I replaced the switch, it ran fine, just the way it should. rode 3 or 4 times after, no problems. On Christmas Eve, it was 70 degrees, took my daughter out, and it started the same thing....just shuts off mid ride.....have to pull over, then cycle the switches, then it'd fire, ride a LITTLE bit, then do it again...took forever to get home.....so, back to square one.....I haven't even tried to look at it yet.....so either it wasn't the switch, or that went bad already, and something is causing it to burn up???

Quick Reply: Bad ignition switch?