Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bad ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 07:24 PM
timhollerbach
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So I haven't tested anything yet, so maybe premature. Tonight I just started the bike to see if it would, which it did, idled fine....opened the throttle, and my headlights dimmed, if I held the throttle open, they'd dim, then brighten back up, also noticed my gauge lights flickered on and off. To me, that sounds like a voltage regulator. But that wouldn't cause it to die while riding, would it??

Old 03-14-2022, 05:36 AM
carlmartine
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by timhollerbach
So I haven't tested anything yet, so maybe premature. Tonight I just started the bike to see if it would, which it did, idled fine....opened the throttle, and my headlights dimmed, if I held the throttle open, they'd dim, then brighten back up, also noticed my gauge lights flickered on and off. To me, that sounds like a voltage regulator. But that wouldn't cause it to die while riding, would it??
Have you had a chance to resolve the issue yet?

Old 03-23-2022, 08:51 PM
timhollerbach
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carlmartine
Have you had a chance to resolve the issue yet?
Yes sir, or at least I think I did. I started a new thread on it.....but I replaced the voltage regulator. I did test it first, at idle I was 13.2 and at 2500rpm's it was only 13.3.....replaced the regulator, and at idle now, I'm around 13.7-8 and at 2500rpms, I'm at 14.3-4 somewhere around there. I've ridden it since, and it seems to do just fine, but haven't rode much.....it does "feel" like it runs better....so as of now, I'm saying the regulator was bad. I had an error code that pointed me in the direction, it was a high line voltage error (I forget the exact code at this second).