Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

K&N Air filter and EFI mapping

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:32 AM
BIGDEE
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Air filter and EFI mapping

I guess everyone will tell me to search the forum and I have searched and read lots of good info, but I have not found the specific answer to my questions. My bike is stock with a little bit of extra crome. 1) Do I need to map my EFI after installing a K&N Stage I Air Breather kit, Pt No RK-3909. I will eventually add slip on mufflers but cannot afford to do it all at one time. Ain't a RUB and ain't good at saving money either. So can I install the K&N filter, run my bike until I can afford a set of mufflers then have it mapped?? 2) About mapping, what is the most economical way to get it mapped?? Surely not the HD shop??

Old 08-08-2007, 11:14 AM
kwas
Cruiser
Default RE: K&N Air filter and EFI mapping

1)If you change the air cleaner to the RK3909 (or any other stage 1 for that matter) you must remap the bike. The reason being that you are now adding more air to an already lean condition.
The pipes can be added later or before without making map changes at the time of their install.

2)The most economical way to get it mapped is to do it yourself, but the SERT is a must. It gives you the most adjustability for the money.

By the way, this topic has been asked and answered numerous times.......with the exact parts you are asking about.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:19 AM
StrGlide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need to do something to add more fuel since you are adding more air with the air cleaner kit. There are plenty of options and prices to match. Cobra FI2000, Vance & Hines FuelPak, Daytona Twin Tech Twin Tuner, Power Commander, SERT to name a few. The more expensive products allow more accurate adjustments, however any of the aforementioned products will suit your needs.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:55 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not like a carb where a loss of intake vacuum across the board would drastically change the jetting requirements. The engine control computer can easily handle the change. It just needs to be told there was a change. Without telling it the reason the MAP readings are different, and that there will be an amount of extra air pulled into the chamber, it won't be spraying enough fuel when you're operating in the upper ranges of engine speed and/or throttle position.

So long as you only operate the engine/throttle in the range where feedback to the computer from the O2 sensors is in place there should really be little danger of harm. But I'd only do what you're (original poster) suggesting myself if I absolutely had to, and for as short a time as possible.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:26 PM
garydogwood
Cruiser

i just got off the phone with dynojet technical support. i asked thatquestion (because i am in a similar situation for now). he said the closest match would be to just use the stock map (M813-001). i was a little surprised but he said the high flow didn't make that much difference to the mapping. especially for the short term since you plan on adding an aftermarked exhaust / slip ons - then download a more fitting map or have it dyno tuned. as for dyno tuning - i plan to use the matching map when i get the exhaust (ordered the V&H pipes today) but out of curiousity, i called a certified dyno tuner in my area and it was right at $200 for a custom map. said it was about a 2 - 2 1/2 hour job.

gw.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:36 AM
BIGDEE
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I guess I will try to keep the hundred bucks i was going to pay for the A/C stuck away till I can afford the pipes and mapping. I knew someone would tell me this same thing has been ask previously in this forum.