Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Retrieving CEL codes on 98 Road King FI

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 08:22 PM
Tailspnr68
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrieving CEL codes on 98 Road King FI

I'm and old school forum junkie and I know this question has probably been asked too many times, so I apologize if it needs to be deleted. But I tried to search for a thread and had no luck.

I have an old friend that just picked up a 98 Road King Evo with FI and on his way home from the purchase the CEL came on and shortly after shut down while on the road. He coasted to a stop and it would restart but it happened again a few more times before he got it home. He told me that the oil level was a little low and dark, so obviously his first thing is to change all the fluids.

I searched google and Youtube for how-to's on retrieving the basic CEL flashing to count and decipher the code. All the videos that I came across didn't work. The one I thought applied was turning the ignition on and after the fuel pump stops wait 1 second and turn off ignition, wait 1 send and turn it back on. That didn't work on his.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-28-2021, 04:25 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,274 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Turn the ignition switch ON OFF ON OFF then ON and leave it on. Then watch the lights blink. You should get a bunch of fast flashes, then a pause, then you'll get the code. Count the blinks for the first number, wait on the pause, then count the blinks for the second one. It is a two digit code. It should keep repeating itself over and over until you shut the ignition off. If you have more than one code, you'll see it after the first one.

Now you're going to have to do this by trial and error. Adjust the speed you turn the ignition on and off until you get it right. It's not super fast but not slow either. It's been awhile for me but I believe if you do it with no hesitation and not super fast it will work. If you have to try it 20 times, just do it. It will work. IF you still need help, post your questions in the EVO forum. Lots of help there. The directions are also in the factory service manual which is the best investment you'll ever make.

carl

Old 09-28-2021, 04:29 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,055 Likes on 4,358 Posts

Welcome to the forums from Ontario, Canada have a read
https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-29661-...ble-codes.html