Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Can the Smoke mess with Range and Fuel Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 08:39 PM
goldie
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Can the Smoke mess with Range and Fuel Mileage?

Hi all,
While I live in western Montana I went to visit my daughter/hubby and grandkids on Monday. We have had some fairly smoky days here but when I got there it was thick. I got great mileage on 300 mile ride to eastern MT (44mpg) and all was good. Next day I take off and end up doing a couple miles of very bumpy construction then on my way. I'm rolling 75 which is not fast but I notice gas gauge is falling way quicker than normal. I would normally not fill up so soon but reserve says 51 miles to empty. Rushmore Road Glide so 6 gallon tank. I fill up and put in 4.2 gallons, 42 mpg. Next partial tank I'm still running 75 and fighting a little wind, tank goes down quick again, reads 36 miles to empty, 4.7 gals but 39 mpg. Leaving next morning and out on Interstate for 90 miles at mostly 80 mph fighting a little wind, still very smoky, 36 mpg. Fill up and have a easy pass to go over and ride smooth and easy, nothing over 70 mph, stop at 100 miles and getting 48mpg, no wind but less smoke. I run prem non ethenol 91 which is available everywhere here. Tailpipes were slightly richer but rubbing finger on exhaust test early now clean on back and slight dust on front, much more normal. It seemed to be running the same over all three days and now seems like back to normal. What the hell happened here? Thoughts......goldie

103 Stock HO with stage 1 V&H true Dual w/ Rhinehart 4" and AC, Harley race tuner tune. It was like this 64 k miles ago when I bought it at 4k. EMC and tuner not touched since I've owned it

Old 08-04-2021, 08:41 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

When you say fighting a little wind how much is a little? Where you riding into the wind on the way there or only the way back?

Old 08-04-2021, 08:49 PM
goldie
Tourer

It was a little, every now and then around eastern MT you have to slow way down or you won't stay on the pavement. I'm wondering if some sensor is making changes to map but also how can the emc read the available miles left be so far off. I've been riding here since 2007 and about 200k so I know it wasn't a gale wind in my face...

The only thing I can see that might be causing these changes is the smoke.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:04 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Have you used those gas stations on the way back before? How was the fuel quality on previous visits, if used before? Did the amount of wind on the way back cause you to give the bike more throttle than you normally do? At least in my expeirience the amount to empty readings can be fickle if you use more throttle at certain points than usual.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:10 PM
goldie
Tourer

I have used those stations prior. Main one in Great Falls is a Mobil, I use that 99% of my fill ups there. Their is a refinery in GF's and if I had to guess all the stations get their gas from there. I went to a different station for second fill in Gf's of the day for that reason but after thinking about it still probably the same gas...

Old 08-04-2021, 10:24 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,708 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Wind, gas quality will have a lot more effect on mileage. Your bike will still be running even if you choke on the particulate matter or lower oxygen level. If you can’t breath, your bike will probably be getting poorer mileage.

Worst effect is the air cleaner in particulate matter is really bad. Wear a wet bandanna or wet mask, keep you eyes from watering and ride til you find clean air.

Now, if you are running the gauntlet between burning forests, then reduced oxygen will effect mileage, but you’ll pass out before your engine quits.

We are smoke filled here. Bike runs fine, but it irritates me when I ride in it. Eyes and throat are the worst.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:33 PM
goldie
Tourer

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Wind, gas quality will have a lot more effect on mileage. Your bike will still be running even if you choke on the particulate matter or lower oxygen level. If you can’t breath, your bike will probably be getting poorer mileage.

Worst effect is the air cleaner in particulate matter is really bad. Wear a wet bandanna or wet mask, keep you eyes from watering and ride til you find clean air.

Now, if you are running the gauntlet between burning forests, then reduced oxygen will effect mileage, but you’ll pass out before your engine quits.

We are smoke filled here. Bike runs fine, but it irritates me when I ride in it. Eyes and throat are the worst.

That makes a lot of sense, I did a little coughing the last couple days.... thanks

Old 08-05-2021, 06:25 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

in times of critical need, they ran wood smoke as a fuel for vehicles. but in a time past, i doubt seriously that computer controlled vehicle could do so today. a bagger is like driving a parachute, any elevation grade thrown in is a negative also.