Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 02:15 PM
Atomic Bagger
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TTS Mastertune help

Me:
Not a tuner, but build things that I'd have to kill you after telling you about them for a well known national laboratory, so I can follow instructions pretty well.

My scoot:
2018 CVO Street Glide, with 117.

The issue:
Bought Fullsac MXS Headpipe, 2.25" power cores and TTS Mastertune. Fullsac sent a starting tune which runs smoothly, but seat-of-pants tells me that it doesn't even have the torque of the stock bike. So, I hook up my Blue interface and set it up with Flight Recorder, run around for a few days and run it through to see if calibration is suggested. I keep showing up green, which I take to mean that it didn't change anything, and I compare all the tables and don't see any change. My butt-dyno says that it runs better at speed, but warmup and the following idle are crap and I get some knock on hot days. It also seems to run fairly rich.

I believe I'm setting up the calibration tune correctly by changing the LAMBDA table to .981 (on suggested portion) and the PE Mode set to 10000. I have run it with knock retard tables zero'd and not. I've gone back to Fullsac's initial tune twice now trying to figure out if I'm missing something by doing it step-by-step.

I guess I'm looking for a fresh set of eyes and know that it will likely take a few questions to get it sorted.

Any obvious direction? Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-20-2021, 09:02 AM
gearheadfmc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the "green" squares on the Map table indicate that there has been enough data collected to make an update in the VTune software. If you run VTune in the "advanced" mode, you'll be able to see the percentage of changes recommend in each RPM/kPa cell. Changes of more than 5% are likely worth while changes. I set my Lambda at .974, the lowest possible setting I could get for closed loop.

Mr. Wizard has a good recommendation for the ride-n-tune. Break the tuning into 3 groups; 1000-2500, 2501-4000 & 4001-5500. Pick a group and strategically ride to make sure all cells in the group show green (RPM/kPa cell). Run Vtune and select the next group. Once each is completed, then plug in the interface and ride around normally to get more data on the subtle changes.

Worked for me. Much better result. I have the old J-1850 interface so, I had to use a laptop.

I'm not an expert, this is just how I see it and have used the ride-n-tune.

Old 07-20-2021, 12:00 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

Not sure where you got this (mis)info but you have effectively turned OFF (.981) the closed loop operation as well as the ability to use the “V-tune” feature to further fine tune your bike.
If you return the LAMBDA table to where it was (I like .982) you will notice the .982-up numbers will be highlighted (bold) which indicates the bike will run in closed loop…which means the v-tune feature will work.

Also you can simply return the tune to the “original” LAMBDA table and you will be A-OK. The guy who writes the calibrations knows a lot so always use what he offers and change if necessary from there.
I suggest you do a quick test record, download, process the v-tune, make the suggested changes and upload the new calibration.
That way, if there is still a misunderstanding or hiccup you will get it figured out before the long tuning ride.
Consider where you need to ride to be able to get to higher speed/rpm (ie: 3rd gear 5000 rpm) for all riding areas and a bit of outlying areas to be sure to cover all conditions you will put the bike in during normal and spirited riding.
Bob

Old 07-20-2021, 01:00 PM
gearheadfmc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Not sure where you got this (mis)info but you have effectively turned OFF (.981) the closed loop operation as well as the ability to use the “V-tune” feature to further fine tune your bike.
If you return the LAMBDA table to where it was (I like .982) you will notice the .982-up numbers will be highlighted (bold) which indicates the bike will run in closed loop…which means the v-tune feature will work.

Also you can simply return the tune to the “original” LAMBDA table and you will be A-OK. The guy who writes the calibrations knows a lot so always use what he offers and change if necessary from there.
I suggest you do a quick test record, download, process the v-tune, make the suggested changes and upload the new calibration.
That way, if there is still a misunderstanding or hiccup you will get it figured out before the long tuning ride.
Consider where you need to ride to be able to get to higher speed/rpm (ie: 3rd gear 5000 rpm) for all riding areas and a bit of outlying areas to be sure to cover all conditions you will put the bike in during normal and spirited riding.
Bob

When I select Lambda .974, my map is in "Closed Loop"

And I have VTuned with data collected at this Lambda. I have asked around the forums and have never really got a good answer of what the Lambda should be, other than "Be sure you are in Closed Loop". So, If you have some info as to why it should be any certain number, I'd love to hear your input! I am always wanting to learn.

Old 07-20-2021, 03:09 PM
Atomic Bagger
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLTRI17

Bob
My "mis"information comes from the TTS Mastertune manual:
"If you are using a Lambda calibration, set all the Main Lambda table cells below 100 kPa to 0.981. Make no change to the 100 kPa column! A lambda setting of 0.981 will call for closed-loop operation, and is rich enough to allow VTune runs under load."

Old 07-20-2021, 07:40 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,688 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Bagger
My "mis"information comes from the TTS Mastertune manual:
"If you are using a Lambda calibration, set all the Main Lambda table cells below 100 kPa to 0.981. Make no change to the 100 kPa column! A lambda setting of 0.981 will call for closed-loop operation, and is rich enough to allow VTune runs under load."
I believe the manual states "as an example". Refer to section 4.8.3.1.2 and it gives you a range of acceptable values, as not all years and models are the same!

The following users liked this post:
WKNDS (07-23-2021)