Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

bike so hot afraid to ride it

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 06:07 PM
Jake Nova Scotia
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default bike so hot afraid to ride it

long time lurking, first time posting. This may be long winded but here we go. I have a 2015 Street Bob 103 stage 1 with SE air cleaner, SE street tuner and Two Brothers 2-1 that started life as comp S but screws backed out and I blew the guts out of it (glass pack & baffle). I sent muffler to manufacturer this winter past and (for a reasonable price) they did a Gen 2 conversion and turned it into a reverse megaphone design so it has a metal baffle but no longer has glass pack. The bike now has crazy amount of decel popping and heat. I did 8 auto tune sessions (helped a bit) plus went into my VE tables for each cylinder and increased the 0 throttle column as much as the street tuner would let me and also increased any of the cells that were in the 70s to 80 (this also helped) retorqued exhaust flanges and tested with barbeque lighter, the flame did not blow out but in an attempt to eliminate exhaust leak as a variable I changed gaskets at the head. When I took exhaust off I noticed the exhaust port area has no black at all. The bike is so lean that it looks white like salt in there and I can see right to the back and around the valve stem, absolutely terrifying! here are some pics of my VE tables
So am I gonna burn my motor up? what else can I do?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
front.pdf (331.8 KB, 125 views)
rear.pdf (331.1 KB, 78 views)
Old 06-01-2021, 06:31 PM
Wmitz
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

What is the afr/lambda? Have you checked for exhaust leaks at the head? What you are describing of a salt color is very lean. Check or an intake leak as well. You may have to consider a different tuner, if the street tuner is one of those restricted by epa. Also look at DK Customs for thunder torque inserts, it help build some back pressure, help out with the popping and lean condition.

edit, I went back to look at my maps from my former 2015 Road Glide that I street tuned. 103 ho, with a FM header and cvo muffs with a 2” Fullsac baffles, and your ve tables are in the ballpark. I was running lambda of .977 or 14.4 afr. If your tuner will not let you adjust the fuel ratio you might want a full option tuner like the PV or TTS.

Last edited by Wmitz; 06-01-2021 at 06:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jake Nova Scotia (06-03-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 06:48 PM
Jake Nova Scotia
Novice

Thanks Wmitz, no leak at the head, changed gaskets just in case, thats how I discovered how lean it truly is. Here is my AF Ratio/lamda which is not editable with this tuner I can only mess with VEs

Attached Files
AF lamda.pdf (328.7 KB, 61 views)
AF.pdf (328.7 KB, 116 views)
Old 06-01-2021, 07:02 PM
Jake Nova Scotia
Novice

Been thinking the PV might be the way for me to go I can get one quickly from a vendor in Canada but I may be better off ordering from Fuel Moto even if its gonna cost more (shipping and customs) to get tune support. as there is no dyno around here and I'm very new to computer tuning. Do you know if they are truly helpful over time or is it one chance at a map and yer done? I'm gonna want to do cams In a year or so (that I can do lol) and will need new map at that time

porkster (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 07:06 PM
Crazylegs
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a fuelmoto map from my 2012 Roadglide custom that had the 103. It had the open breather and V&H crossover header with big radius or radial mufflers. There was a very noticeable difference from the Harley stage 1 download to this and I continued to tweak it for some time. I have a sepst with my new bike and I would recommend the powervision if it’s in your budget. If you change bikes, you will need to by a new license for it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Crazylegs:
Jake Nova Scotia (06-03-2021), Wmitz (06-03-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 07:24 PM
Jake Nova Scotia
Novice

thanks for replying but I dont even know how to interpret the difference between the numbers lol

Old 06-01-2021, 07:59 PM
Crazylegs
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Nova Scotia
thanks for replying but I dont even know how to interpret the difference between the numbers lol
It’s the air fuel ratio and the lower the number the more fuel to air there is. A little richer could help with detonation and cooling but every setup is a little different as well as the environment.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:11 PM
Jake Nova Scotia
Novice

when it comes to looking at lamda am I correct in thinking that 1 is 14.7 afr and any number below 1 is richening, any number above 1 is leaning it out?

Old 06-01-2021, 08:17 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,089 Likes on 2,043 Posts

Buy from fuel moto. It's map support for the life of the tuner and I've even seen them provide a map to the next owner for a tuner that someone was selling. They'll give you a decent map thatll be really close and then help you if you're having trouble after that.

gtirhd (06-10-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 08:18 PM
Jake Nova Scotia
Novice

Im very much leaning towards a PV but in the mean time, this street tuner will only let me mess with front and rear VE tables and that only to a small amount so if I globally increased the values in my ve tables will that richen thinks up or am I thinking in error

Quick Reply: bike so hot afraid to ride it