Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Intermittent Engine Cutting Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 01:13 PM
Augustin
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have led flashers without having installed electric resistance? because this is my case and I think that's what must have worn out the TSSM

Old 05-26-2021, 01:18 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustin
Hello Angel, I just registered on the forum because I have exactly the same problem as you, cuts are frequent and I have to do the same manipulation as you to restart. I have a 2002 Electra Glide with an alarm. I can not find the problem, my only solution I have left is to change the TSSM for a TSM (without alarm) because I think it is the alarm system which messes up and cuts off the ignition. .
Hello Augustin, have you tried replacing the system relay? That's only a $10 part. My bike doesn't have the added security so I don't think that is my issue. Read above posts from Ed Ramberger. I wish you good luck with this very frustrating issue!

Old 05-26-2021, 01:20 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Augustin
Do you have led flashers without having installed electric resistance? because this is my case and I think that's what must have worn out the TSSM
No, my bike is completely stock except some slip on exhaust. I hope you found your solution.

The following users liked this post:
Augustin (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 01:20 PM
Augustin
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelfire36
Hello Augustin, have you tried replacing the system relay? That's only a $10 part. My bike doesn't have the added security so I don't think that is my issue. Read above posts from Ed Ramberger. I wish you good luck with this very frustrating issue!
I will check that, courage also !

Angelfire36 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 01:29 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelfire36
I wondered about the wires in the bars after I installed the risers too, but my problems didn't start until a few months after install... wouldn't the issue start right after the install? I barely moved the bars to install the 2" risers.
Yes, when it stalls the gauges and lights seem to be working fine.
Maybe. But since it is the last thing done. Good place to start. I would check the wiring. Make sure pins didn't pull from connectors. Loosing ground? Chaffing wire? Short from wire to wire? Short to ground? Bad switch? Most can input is digital and just finding a ground. Grounding wire on riser bolt still in good shape and not twisted or torn?

The following 2 users liked this post by hrdtail78:
Angelfire36 (05-26-2021), FLTRI17 (08-08-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 01:55 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
Maybe. But since it is the last thing done. Good place to start. I would check the wiring. Make sure pins didn't pull from connectors. Loosing ground? Chaffing wire? Short from wire to wire? Short to ground? Bad switch? Most can input is digital and just finding a ground. Grounding wire on riser bolt still in good shape and not twisted or torn?
Yup! That's what I wanted the shop to do. I am not sure where the connectors are exactly. I can get a multimeter and help with how to use it. I do have the service manual and will try to locate the connectors. Maybe just remove risers again and check to see wiring there first.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:50 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

Besides electrical connections, I'd try holding up on the fuel line fitting that goes into the tank. The connection at the tanks has 3 ***** that holds the line in place that can work into the fuel line that goes to the injectors. This fitting sees some vibes on dynas and baggers as it needs to flex some since it runs between the rubber mounted motor and the solid mounted tank. ***** wear into the the groove and the valve in the connector closes. Motor shutting down shakes enough to reopen the valve. Bike restarts. I've had this issue occur on an 02 RKC.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
Angelfire36 (05-27-2021), FLTRI17 (08-08-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 12:41 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Max's idea is solid, but doesn't affect the pump not priming at initial power up if it has been sitting. The system relay is cheap, and you are already replacing it. If the problem persists, I would suggest putting a voltmeter on the pump connections (will be a pain in the butt) for your power ups and looking to see if you are getting a 12V signal to the pump. If you are getting a 12V signal to the pump and it it not priming, we can walk you through a voltage drop test to determine wiring vs pump.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 05-27-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Angelfire36 (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 06:16 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior

Thank you for all the great advice. I'm picking my bike up tomorrow and new parts will be here Tuesday. I will report back hopefully that it's fixed but if not will move forward with these suggestions, step by step!

Old 05-30-2021, 01:44 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior

Quick update: I retrieved my bike and rode it home about 40 miles from the shop. No problems starting and no engine cut-out. When I got home I looked at the fuse box and found lots of corrosion there. I cleaned each fuse and the relays with a wire brush and used dielectric grease and replaced them. When I pulled the system relay, I saw lots of corrosion and a small burn spot on the plug side near the bottom prong. I cleaned and replaced it. Took another ride about 20 miles and bike is running fine. Now I'm thinking the system relay is slightly damaged, but not enough to make it fail all the time. My new one is coming in on Tuesday, will replace it when it arrives and report back. Hope this threads helps anyone else with this mysterious problem. And thanks again to Ed and all who responded.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Engine Cutting Out