Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

driveability problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 08:39 PM
pete913
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default driveability problem

I have a 2006 Fatboy with a 95 CI stage 2 kit with the SE203 cams,screamin eagle slip on's, high flow air filter kit, and a HD race tuner, all dealer installed.
Right after I got it back from the installation, it'd miss noticeably at light throttle, say driving down a city street at 25-30 mph in second gear, just maintaining speed,or just holding say 15 mph in low. Give it just a little throttle, no matter what the rpm or speed, and it seems fine.It also pops quite a bit on decel or going down a steep hill with the throttle closed. Out on the road it runs fine.I've had it back to them, and they put it on the dyno and changed the map somewhat, gave me a sheet of paper with the dyno results, and let it go. Well it still runs like crap. Seems like a lean surge to me at light throttle and the idle is crap as well.Any ideas? I do know they tweaked the race tuner map somewhat, but its no better.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:56 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: driveability problem

1.......Sounds like the tuner does'nt know what he is doing.

2.......You should have been given a cd with the custom map on it.

Basically you need to get it to a tuner who has been recommended, at least you know you are going to get what you need. You could always try to tune it yourself, but you need the cd as you will not be able to save the current tune, but you can reload it easily if you have it saved on disc.

I loaded a map from the cd onto my ecm, wasnt an exact match for my configuration, but close enough. I just tweaked the clb tables as recommended on this site, and she is running very well. Heat has pretty much gone down to the same levels as on my tuned 88", which is comfortable. No popping, and hardly any surging at low speed. I will still need to tinker with it to get it better, but it is already way better than stock.

WB

Old 07-30-2007, 10:06 AM
jmetro
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

def lean in your low and idle areas, decel pop is LEAN, the stealer needs to re tune it for you, they charged you, if you go back a third time and it doesn't fix it, talk to the manager/owner or someone with athority, and demand the labor back for installing the race tuner and dyno time, and take your money to a tuner that knows how to work a bike.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:24 PM
pete913
Cruiser

Thanks guys. Those are my thoughts exactly. I do know that they didn't dyno it when they installed all this stuff, which as far as I'm concerned should have been part of the install. I had to come back and complain first, which didn't impress me at all after paying about $1800 for the kit and install. I'm going to talk to the manager this time, and tell him either it's fixed properly this time or it ain't leavin till it is fixed. There's a Honda dealership right across the street, and it's lookin better every time I deal with this outfit. Their fuel injection seems to work just fine, mods or no mods, and they don't even own a dyno. Note to HD, quit sending me accessory catalogs and get your so called mechanics some training. I would take it to someone else, but that'd involve a trip of several hundred miles,and the only other guy around these parts who works on Harleys is stuck in the carbureted shovelhead era.( not all bad, a carb isstarting to look pretty good to me, and I've worked on automotive fuel injection since 1980, ha )I'll post the results after I get it out of the shop, hopefully by this weekend.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 PM
6flhxi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given the fact that your configuration is pretty common, I doubt that the issue is related to tuner incompetency. Moreover, I'd suspect some other condition is contributing to the conditions you are experiencing. Have they checked for a dirty injector? What about a strained injector wire? If the condition is limited to light throttle and subsides with increased throttle input, then the first place I'd look at is the injector wiring.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 PM
jmetro
Tourer

if it was a non tuning issue, it would do it all the time or irradically..............not at specific times or rpms, the stealer's tuner sucks.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 AM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone that's had 203 cams should know they have quite a lot of overlap, 35°.They idle rough and run rough at low rpms. I had the "miss" at low speed steady throttle with mine, too.
The decel popping can benearly eliminatedwith decel enleanment.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:41 AM
jmetro
Tourer

decel pop is cured by richening the decel, not leaning it.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:09 AM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excuse me, let me rephrase. The decel popping can benearly eliminatedvia thedecel enleanment table.Decrement thecells in the temperature ranges where you get popping.
That better?

Old 08-05-2007, 11:33 PM
pete913
Cruiser

Well I got it out of the shop friday. They do acknowledge a problem, and have ordered 28 deg injectors to replace the originals. The service manager rode it,experienced the same thing I did, and is working on it, so at this point I can't complain. They'll dyno it with the new injectors and fix the decel pop at no charge.I also asked him to run me off a copy of the map when it's all said and done and he said he would.