Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

DFO,Slipons and Decel Pop

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 07:59 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DFO,Slipons and Decel Pop

I put the RevTech DFO on to combat the HOT running condition with good success I think. Then I added the AN Big sucker. Still all is good. The first of this week I added Rush 2.25 slipons. Love em, sound great, but now I have decel pop. I have ajusted the DFO per RevTech's instructions.
Anyone with the DFO and similar set up have any tips on how to adjust to eliminate the pop.
Thought I would ask here first. I will probably call RevTech next week.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:30 PM
TerryM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DFO,Slipons and Decel Pop

I have a similar set up, 2.0 baffles though. Get a few pops when shifting. I get more of a gurgle when decel, couple minor pops though. Let us know what rev tech says as i am thinking of going with a bigger baffle...

Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 AM
jmetro
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

richen up the low to eliminate decel pop, but with a DFO, you cant just adjust where it makes it pop, you also adjust where you ride most of the time. so buck up and buy a good fuel processor like the PCIII, SERT, or FUELPAK so that you can actually adjust your tuning.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:50 AM
vheflin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second jmetro, used to have a DFO but too many lean spots. Got tired of screwing with it, purchased a SERT and got a dyno tune. Bike runs great with no popping throughout the rpm range. Poor tuning can damage your engine.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:59 AM
lschultz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call ole George up at Dobeck they make the TFI but they are sold under other names. When your running a mufflers that has a straight thru baffle the the decel pop is hard to get rid up. You might try a smaller baffle. If all your doing is changing mufflers and air filter the DFO will work fine. Sometimes you just have to keep tinkering with it to you find that sweet spot. They have worked fine for us.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:14 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

because you didn't have the decel pop b4 you changed your slipons. i would start and make sure your exhaust connections are tight and not leaking.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:21 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll bet you will never tune out that pop. My bike popped on decel for 6 years with slip-ons and the stock head pipe. True Duals made it go away.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These directions are much better that the ones that come with the unit, IMO.

http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/dfo.htm

Old 07-30-2007, 09:48 PM
jmetro
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I could tune the decel pop out of drag pipes...........but not with a DFO.......with the slip ons, you should have used a high temp silicone when putting them on, to make sure they seal up, as most clamps aren't wide enough to cover the clamp cuts in the muffler. anti seize just blows out of these if you use that instead.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:03 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lschultz

Call ole George up at Dobeck they make the TFI but they are sold under other names. When your running a mufflers that has a straight thru baffle the the decel pop is hard to get rid up. You might try a smaller baffle. If all your doing is changing mufflers and air filter the DFO will work fine. Sometimes you just have to keep tinkering with it to you find that sweet spot. They have worked fine for us.
Well, I did call George. Said he gets this call every day. The 2.25 baffles are probably to open for the DFO. Said to try adding up to a 4 oclock position on the green pot. It actually runs best per their instuctions just past 3. I also have mid shift pop. He said I might fix that with the yellow up one clock position. I'll try sometime this week and see what happens.

I may have to "buck up" and buy a "good fuel processor", or go to smaller baffles, which I don't think is an option. The mufflers sound really good.

Quick Reply: DFO,Slipons and Decel Pop