Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

sportster 1200 timing

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 08:26 AM
HotRod917
Road Warrior
Received 274 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by b0fh
thanks for that! is that map for a 1200 sportster? sure looks “hot”, any pinging? what type of fuel u guys run in india?

cheers!
Most welcome...and that spark table is for the 883 not the1200, which surely should have lower timings as Mr. Gunner mentioned. It's just to give u an idea that u can create ur own map 'if u know what ur doing.

Was able eliminate the pinging, smooth out the throttle response and got the fueling right...so yea select a map from Dynojet (spark tables will mostly be the same for basic stage setups) run a couple of auto tune sessions to correct the VE's (especially at low rpm)..adjust ur AFR as needed and then if ur unable to eliminate the pinging or smooth out the ride, then look into specific sections of the spark tables.

In India they say it's 91 octane but I think it's still around 89 or lower..fuel here is pretty bad for the cost.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:09 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

I've never stayed with timing maps from base tunes. Always end up tweaking them. They're just a starting point like the VE tables and AFR.
My 1250 build was 29.5 at 5000rpm.

Old 11-23-2020, 11:29 AM
b0fh
Road Captain
Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

my fuel here is like E30 (they say 25% max ethanol but...) so thats why I probably can get away with running a bit hotter.

this is what im running currently... might be room to make it hotter at lower RPM. goal is to make the engine less jerky, not power.

Old 11-18-2021, 09:22 PM
20Sportster883
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trouble with timing too!

I tried what I have found here but to no avail the latest timing changes I made were to try out the map posted here or pretty close to what b0fh posted it’s close and pulls good definitely smoother as well. I still hear some noise but I can’t tell exactly what the noise is cause I can’t seem to keep it making the noise for long. Nothing like when it was pinging so hard you could hear it over 70mph on the Highway through a full face helmet. Now it sounds more light like a bit of piston slap or similar. It has shifted to a lower rpm and different throttle opening so I believe it’s still probably light pinging. Any other solutions tried I am running non ethanol premium 93 octane. All I have is slip ons with inserts in them and a figure machine (knock off) air cleaner. Everything else is stock. I will post up a graph tomorrow if my current settings.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:14 PM
b0fh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 20Sportster883
I tried what I have found here but to no avail the latest timing changes I made were to try out the map posted here or pretty close to what b0fh posted it’s close and pulls good definitely smoother as well. I still hear some noise but I can’t tell exactly what the noise is cause I can’t seem to keep it making the noise for long. Nothing like when it was pinging so hard you could hear it over 70mph on the Highway through a full face helmet. Now it sounds more light like a bit of piston slap or similar. It has shifted to a lower rpm and different throttle opening so I believe it’s still probably light pinging. Any other solutions tried I am running non ethanol premium 93 octane. All I have is slip ons with inserts in them and a figure machine (knock off) air cleaner. Everything else is stock. I will post up a graph tomorrow if my current settings.
you probably need to run a little less advance than that table of mine - fuel down here in Brazil is close to 30% ethanol these days, that allows for hotter time w/o pinging... but likely too hot for regular gas.
took that 1200 out of the barn for today' commute (not using it much because it is uninsured) and boy, it does run good ... accellerates like a raped ape compared to the barges (tourings) I usually ride now.

Old 11-24-2021, 02:17 PM
20Sportster883
Intermediate
Default Less timing.

Less as in bring it even closer to tdc?

I tried another map it’s a canned dynojet map and have run a couple auto tune sessions on it but my battery took a crap and won’t hold a charge now. So for the moment I am not fooling with it.

I did notice with those timing figures it pulled very hard and didn’t have any issues as far as running but I still had that pinging in some spots of the map. I need to export this auto tuned map and see what it has everything at. It does run pretty good and the pinging isn’t nearly what it was. If they would have put a proper knock sensor on it it would have been better but I realize with all the other sounds it would have never worked all that well.

Old 11-24-2021, 05:12 PM
20Sportster883
Intermediate

Do I need to reset all learned fuel trims when I load the new auto tuned tune file? It prompts me every time I load any tune file.

I have made no other changes to the bike like exhaust or air intake. So I figured you would keep the learned values right?

Old 11-28-2021, 07:57 AM
b0fh
Road Captain

i reset them all the time… does not seem to make much difference to be honest.

an yes, less degrees from what is in my table for american ethanol free egular fuel (85? its been a while since ive been up there)

Old 11-28-2021, 10:31 AM
20Sportster883
Intermediate

We get 93 octane here. I can get it either with up to 10% ethanol or ethanol free. I am going to play with it a bit more I found some other maps I am going to load up today. I am going to see if I can attach them to this message.

They are kinda cut off at the bottom but this is a tune that was on a 1250 conversion. So it’s not ideal for a stock 883.

Old 11-28-2021, 04:37 PM
b0fh
Road Captain

that time will make your 883 feel 'lazy' for sure... too little advance.
883s have low compression and can have more advance than 12xxs

Quick Reply: sportster 1200 timing