Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Gear indicator issue resolved

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 07:40 PM
RHD51
Road Captain
Received 447 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Gear indicator issue resolved

A while back I installed the MOW 32 tooth sprocket. After installation I discovered the issue with the sixth gear indicator not working and the speedo being a little off.
Kevin Baxter at Pro Twin informed my that a tuner would solve that problem so after some research I bought the Power Vision. I was planning on changing the stock mufflers for slip ons to complete the stage one and decided a tuner would be a good idea. I got a deal on some S&S 3" slash cut slip ons from a forum member so I installed those along with the PV tuner. After a few days of learning how to use it I got the basic functions figured out and flashed a tune to the ECU and did an auto tune session. The bike (07 96B TC) is running great and and pulls quite a bit harder than before with great acceleration, no decel pop and better mileage. Had XIed's before that work well but poor mileage.
Only issue was the 6th gear indicator still didn't work and the gear indicator on the PV also did not recognize the correct gear. After more research I still couldn't figure out how to fix this so i contacted Kevin again and he explained how to go into the WINPV software and change the gear ratio values for each of the 6 gears and gave me some values to try. I figured out how to do this and and reflashed the tune with marginal results. The 6th gear indicator would now come on in 5th gear and the PV recognized some gears but not all. At that point Kevin suggested I contact Dynojet.
I did and after waiting a half hour on hold, a gentleman named Mark answered and was able to email me an gear change tool in an EXCEL format where you enter the tooth count of original gears and new gears and it gives you a multiplier to apply to the original tune gear ratio values. I did that, input the new values and reflashed the tune. That worked! and all works properly now. The learning curve for the basic functions, on the PV, is not too steep but it is going to take a while before I am able to make use of the full potential of this device.
All in all I am very happy with the device and performance improvement and the added bonus of being able to have gauges now for RPM, mileage, temp and many other functions.

The following 3 users liked this post by RHD51:
Big Dave (10-18-2020), bonecross9 (10-20-2020), Harley1004 (10-17-2020)