Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Getting dyno tuned by the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 03:17 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Getting dyno tuned by the dealer

I stopped by the local dealer (not where I bought the bike) and askedthem aboutdyno tuning my PCIII. They told me they will do it with 3 runs on the dyno for $85-$150. Im getting it done next Friday. The dealer where I bought the bike told me if I put a PCIII on my bike it will void my warranty. I think thats BS. I dont fore see a warranty problem especially since Im getting a HD dealer to tune it and I will get paperwork proving it. I just want to make sure Im tuned right with my mods. I have the V&H Big Radius with the Thunder Monster baffles, Arlen Ness Big Sucker intake, and the PCIII. I think the price is great because other places I have checked were $300- $400.

2007 Nightrain

Old 07-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Getting dyno tuned by the dealer

I hate to be the one to rain on your parade but....tuning can not be done in three runs, it does void your warranty along with the pipes and air filter (your paper work proving you had a PC installed and tune will work against you with the MOCO), and it cost $300.00 to $400.00 to tune the PC III correctly.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:09 PM
suspect
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe at your dealer, my sled was dyno-tuned (pcIII) they charged me 1.5 hrs labor ($90.00hr) i was near by when they did it and the tech took near an hr to do it,they also washed my sled when they were done!!!!!!! now the warranty issue.........the dealer can refuse to submit a warranty claim to the MoCo if an efi controller is installed!! IF they can "conclude" that the component failure was due to they added equiptment. solets say a primary seal leak or tranny problem will still be covered. now alot of dealers wont even do dyno tunes any more due to strict EPA rules (at least in california) all newer bikes in Ca. have catalytic converters,legally they must stay on the bike,changing the pipes of course omits the cats.therefore most dealers wont touch bikes with aftermarket pipes.but whatever its your bike do what you want with it . i have unbaffled fishtails on mine. f*k stock pipes .it also helps to have a strong rapport with the service dept.just in case you do have a warranty issue some day,my service dept knows me by name the techs all know my sled, even the wash guys know me.someday i will cash in on that if a questionable issue ever arises.until then fix up your bike your way.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:13 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Suspect has a great point, most reasonable business people likedealerships and MOCOwill look at a warrantyissue and try todetermine if ithe modscould have been the cause of the problem, often giving the consumer the benefit of the doubt. So to say that a certain mod voids all warranties isnot realistic.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:49 AM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doc 1

I hate to be the one to rain on your parade but....tuning can not be done in three runs, it does void your warranty along with the pipes and air filter (your paper work proving you had a PC installed and tune will work against you with the MOCO), and it cost $300.00 to $400.00 to tune the PC III correctly.
I just want to make sure Im not running lean or hurting the engine in anyway. I would like it to be a hair on the rich side to be safe. Im not really concerned about squeezeing every single little piece of horse power out of it. I already have a map by FuelMoto in it with all the mods I have listed EXCEPT the Thunder Monster baffles. The bike seems to run fine I just want to be sure. If I have warranty issues this is where I plan on taking the bike. Also, they have new bikes on the showroom floor that are accesorized with pipes and PCIII already installed. You mean to tell me they are selling the new bikes withvoided warrantys?

Old 07-28-2007, 03:29 PM
suspect
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had my pcIII pre-programmed by fuel moto, about a month later i had it dyno-tuned my dealer.the first run was done to show base line power.then the tune was performed.the end result was fuel moto runs super rich. plus i gained about 6 hp /5 tq.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Didn't know that you had multiple warranties on a Harley.....boy is my face red!

Old 07-28-2007, 05:48 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, they warranty every moving or non moving part individually (OK, they all move when your riding) but just because you make onemod usually does not void the warranty onevery part, at least from my experiance, unless you add a turbo like I did.