Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

V&H FP3 - "Not linked to this bike but linked to..."

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 09:22 PM
swcarrell
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation V&H FP3 - "Not linked to this bike but linked to..."

I'm amazed the Internet is so reluctant to provide any information on the error I'm getting on my V&H Fuelpak FP3, connected to my 2009 Dyna FXDC.

Couple of years ago, I had a shop install a new intake and V&H exhaust, as well as the FP3. Always been linked to this bike and never had a problem until today. Not happy with my current tune (auto-tune I set up last month), so I tried to go back to another map. The exact error is "Not linked to this bike but linked to " [my exact VIN]. When I tapped on Search Maps, it says, "Cannot search for maps when paired to another bike". It also failed on firmware update: Timed out.

So far, I have cycled power, disconnected and reconnected the FP3, tried communicating with and without WiFi, all same results. At this point, I'm wondering if the FP3 may have overheated (I've kept it installed under the seat the past few weeks), but I was hoping someone here may have experienced something along these lines. Like I said above, I can't find anything via Internet search.

Please let me know if y'all have any ideas, thanks.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:18 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I had an issue with my fp3 last year , had trouble getting the software to connect to my bike , I simply deleted the program and reinstalled it , worked fine since .

Send them an email through the program ( customer service ) if possible , hopefully they can get it resolved , good luck !

Old 09-13-2020, 06:54 AM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,295 Likes on 2,900 Posts

Yes reach out to customer service.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:53 AM
swcarrell
Advanced

Deleted the app, reinstalled; it was at least able to check for firmware updates, However, it’s still confused about being linked to the correct bike. Looks like a phone call to V&H tomorrow. If anyone want to know how it shakes out, post and I’ll let y’all know.

The following users liked this post:
MyFavRk (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 03:56 PM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,664 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by swcarrell
Deleted the app, reinstalled; it was at least able to check for firmware updates, However, it’s still confused about being linked to the correct bike. Looks like a phone call to V&H tomorrow. If anyone want to know how it shakes out, post and I’ll let y’all know.
Should always post resolution, will help out the next person who has this issue. Whole point behind forums!

The following users liked this post:
Vec (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 07:24 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Old 09-13-2020, 07:45 PM
swcarrell
Advanced

RESOLVED. Kept at it, cycling power to the bike, unplugging and plugging the FP3. Finally got to the option to upload the map under the Customer Support >> Upload ECU Content. After flashing the bootloader, it linked the FP3 to the bike, and then I was able to view/edit maps, flash new maps, etc. Praise the Lord!

The following 2 users liked this post by swcarrell:
MCSarge (03-31-2021), MyFavRk (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 08:09 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Awesome , glad to hear you got it resolved !

Old 09-14-2020, 07:18 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

You shouldn't have had to do all that but I am glad you got it to work. I would call V&H and let them know of your difficulty in this achievement., just in case it happens again and if they can check out the FP3 for any problems. That way it is on the record.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:06 PM
Thomas Molyneaux
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed same issue

I had the same issue after putting my bike away for the winter. 2 fixes: 1. Although your app may say up to date, go into Customer support > V&H Customer Support > Check For Firmware Update ( mine wasn’t actually updated) 2. Shut your bike completely off > turn on the run switch > then turn your key into the run position. Then try to connect. Waited 30 minutes on customer support line for them to fix it in 2 seconds with those suggestions. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: V&H FP3 - "Not linked to this bike but linked to..."