Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

EFI bike help

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:41 PM
bakelite
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI bike help

Hi, my first EFI bike, a 2004 Standard. I want to make the stock pipes louder and flow better, is there a decent way of doing this? Also curious about the best way to go, once I make the pipes flow a bit better and basically make them louder to drown out the noise the twin cam makes, and install a K&N filter, would it be best to take it to the dealer to have it remapped or is there a product available that I can install myself that works as well?....Thanks.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts
Default RE: EFI bike help

Bakelite, you need all three to make the bike go. More fuel, more air and more exhaust, or you are just trowing your money away. If you plan on doing more mods in the future, spend the big bucks and buy a power commander. If you want a one time package I would recommend Vance and Hines slip on's, a S&E air cleaner kit, and a HD Cartridge for a TC 88 (32081) The cartridge is about $150, so if you are going to do cams, 95 cube, or heads, don't go that route.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

bakelite you can take a hole punch drill and drill out your baffle's on your stock muffler's and they actually sound pretty decent but (there's alway's a but) you don't need to put a airfilter on without the download or remap or your bike will run leaner than crap, Joe told you right, if your going to plan on alot of mod's latter buy a power commander if not than get the stage1 SE ac kit and a remap for about $300 dollar's.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:26 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get ready to drop some coin, youll be alright.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:49 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

If you are not going to do a lot of mods, I would go with SE aircleaner kit, free flowing pipes and a remap. On my EG Classic I have HD touring mufflers, SE air cleaner and remap. It runs real good.

You will have to do some kind of remap if you make any air alterations at all, ie SE air cleaner, or pipes. If you have more air, you have to have more fuel or bad things will happen. If you run lean, you could run hot, your pipes will blue, your plugs will not last as long, and worst case, you could burn a hole in the top of a piston, or burn a valve.

Regards,

Bill

Old 02-02-2005, 02:58 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can take a hole punch drill and drill out your baffle's on your stock muffler's and they actually sound pretty decent but (there's alway's a but) you don't need to put a airfilter on without the download or remap or your bike will run leaner than crap,
Tn, are you saying that if you drill the baffles out you don't need a new airfilter or to remap?

Old 02-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

NoStones if you noticied after the but I said you don't need to install a airfilter without the down load, I ran my bike for 6000 mile's or so with just a set of SEIIs on it without the remap which you can do because I did not have a differnt air filter, when I had the stage1 air filter kit installed I also had it remapped, the EFI bike's are very lean from the factory for emmisions reason's, even the carb model's don't run as lean as a EFI bike in my opinion. Sorry for the confusion in my first statement bakelite and Stones I hope this makes it a little better to understand, I sort of tend to babble once in a while.[sm=icon_blah.gif]

Old 02-03-2005, 08:04 PM
bakelite
Intermediate

Thanks, I like the look of the stock pipes to be honest and like the hole saw idea. I am not going to do anything more to this bike than the pipes and air filter. Do I need to take it to a dealer to have it re mapped? Means a trip in the trailer for me which I would like to avoid. I am happy with this bike except for the noise from the motor, basically want more pipe noise to drown that out. Never needed to do that on an Evo.

So, I could cut out the baffles, RIDE to the dealers, have the K&N installed and the re mapping done then? This wouldn't hurt my bike, a trip of 120 miles with the pipes flowing more freely?? Is the SE air cleaner better than just installing a K&N, I have always had such good luck with them....Thanks!

Old 02-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

When you go to a SE Stage1 ac kit it loose's the backing of the stock filter adapting plate and the filter is also more of round shape and thicker, more than likely it will breath a little better than just a stocked shaped k&n filter, also it will not hurt to punch out the baffle's and ride to the dealer to get the Stage1 kit installed with the remap.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:29 PM
bigB
Intermediate

[quote]ORIGINAL: bakelite

. I am happy with this bike except for the noise from the motor, basically want more pipe noise to drown that out. Never needed to do that on an Evo.

what noise would that be? my 88 sounds oh so sweeeeeet.

Quick Reply: EFI bike help