Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Adjusting CLB and AFR tables

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007 | 10:16 AM
kwas
|
Cruiser
Default Adjusting CLB and AFR tables

This question involves the use of the SERT and adjusting the maps. I have read about adjusting the Closed Loop Bias (CLB) and Air/Fuel Ratio(AFR)tables the enrichment, better performance and cooler running. Now stop me if I'm wrong:
#1) if I adjust the CLBtoward the maximun, I amincreasing fuel to the closed area and effecting theAFR without making any adjustment to the AFR tables. Thus keeping it in a closed loop and the AFR tables stay as originally written and do not automatically change to reflect the changes in the CLB table.

#2) if I make my adjustments only in the AFR tabledecreasing the air thus making it richer, I amover riding theCLB table. Thus an open loop and the CLB table stays as originally written (not automatically making changes).

So if my understanding is correct.... I should only make changes to one of the tables, not both or do I do both? If only one, whichroute is better?

Old 07-25-2007 | 01:38 PM
Wags1
Tourer
Default RE: Adjusting CLB and AFM tables

Suggest you go back and read your SERT manual concerning closed loop operation. It is on page 3. It may help to clear some of this up for you. When you refer to AFM table I am assuming that you really mean the AFR (Air-Fuel Ratio) table.

The only time your ECM is in closed loop operation is in the areas of the AFR table where the cell value is set to 14.6. Any other value and the ECM will be in open loop operation. So if you want to operate in closed loop the AFR needs to be set to 14.6 and then you can you use the CLB table to add fuel and make the bike run richer. Be aware though that since the 02 sensors are narrow band they can only control within +/- 0.5 AFR. Since you need to have the cell in the AFR table set to 14.6 to put the ECM in closed loop mode the most that you can achieve (without messing with the VE tables which is beyond the scope of this conversation) would be 14.1.

Old 07-25-2007 | 03:56 PM
kwas
|
Cruiser
Default RE: Adjusting CLB and AFR tables

Sorry for the confusion on my part, I did mean AFR.
So then , if I do not want to run in closed loop, I should make adjustments to the AFR tables. This will basically put the O2 sensors out of operation. Then any changes I need to make to VE and timing are made totally independant. The program makes no ratio changes on it's own. Each change is manually done.
Is this correct?

Old 07-25-2007 | 04:11 PM
Wags1
Tourer

That is correct. If you set the AFR in any cell to anything other than 14.6 you will take the ECM out of closed loop operation. Just curious though why you don't want it running in closed loop? Under normal operating conditions, ie. crusing down the highway, not eccelerating, etc., operating in the 14.1 - 14.5 range is fine.

Old 07-25-2007 | 05:04 PM
kwas
|
Cruiser

Since I live in Chicago, I find myself often running extremely hot while either trying to get to the open road or coming in from it. I would also like to get a little more out of her and make an AC and pipe change. Because this will lean it out even more, I'm trying to figure out where I should adjust the ECM.