Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Evo ignition and coil upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 06:55 PM
Adam76
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Evo ignition and coil upgrade question

Hey guys,
doing a top end performance build on an 80" evo.
I pulled off the timing cover for the first time and discovered it already has a Crane Hi-4 ignition that probably been there 5 - 10 years?
Anyways, my question is that I already bought the new Dyna (Ultima) 2000i ignition and blue streak coil.

What's your opinion on the Crane vs the Dyna 2000i ?
Build will be likely ev27 cam and 9.5 comp pistons.

Thanks

Old 07-10-2020, 08:12 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,296 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Most here prefer the Dyna 2k.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:53 AM
Adam76
Road Master

Originally Posted by RANGER73
ok, thanks. Is there a particular reason? Does it have more adjustability?

Old 07-11-2020, 12:21 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam76
ok, thanks. Is there a particular reason? Does it have more adjustability?
I've been told, the Ultima is made in China, and the Dyna is made in USA. I cannot verify that, so for whatever that's worth. (I suspect they are both China mfg'd)
But I can attest to top-notch technical support from Dyna.

They are identical in operation with the main difference, besides cost, being - The Ultima advance curves max out by 3000 rpm. So if you go wide open and are already doing 55mph+ it's still at full advance. With even a mildly modified Evo, that can cause spark knock / detonation. Stock engine, no problem. The Dyna stretches out the full throttle (low vacuum/wot) curves to a much higher rpm.

Either unit can be programmed with an additional cable and PC to any advance curve, max rpm and dead cranking revs you might want. With the Dyna, most would never need to do that since the curves are different. You can buy a "bootleg" cable off ebay for about 35.00 (not sure about shipping overseas) and the programming software is a free download from the Dynatek website, and it will work on either the Ultima or Dyna unit.
Dynaonline.com

First chart is Ultima curves, second Dyna curves.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ultima curve chart

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dyna 2ki curve chart

Old 07-11-2020, 07:27 PM
Adam76
Road Master

Thanks t150, that's really good to know. I wish I'd known all this before I bought the Ultima unit....

When I bought the "Ultima" I actually didn't know it was Ultima as the description only said Dyna 2000i - but I guess the price that I paid tells me that it's not the real thing. I definitely didn't pay $600. Plus it looks different on Google when comparing the two.
should I use the Crane Hi-4 that was on the bike when I bought it before the build I'm doing? Or put the "Ultima" 2000i ignition in?
Thanks.

Last edited by Adam76; 07-11-2020 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:20 PM
Adam76
Road Master

Originally Posted by RANGER73
hey ranger, I have the new Ultima version of the 2000i..... are they any good?
Thanks

Old 07-11-2020, 08:23 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam76
Thanks t150, that's really good to know.

When I bought the "Ultima" I actually didn't know it was Ultima as the description only said Dyna 2000i - but I guess the price that I paid tells me that it's not the real thing. I definitely didn't pay $500. Plus it looks different on Google when comparing the two.
should I use the Crane Hi-4 that was on the bike when I bought it before the build I'm doing? Or put the "Ultima" 2000i ignition in?
Thanks.
Like I said, other than the pre-loaded advance curves, they are identical and yes, D2ki search will bring up the Ultima 53-644 more often than not. (I call that deceptive advertising) I've been running the Ultima since '08, no problems.

When to run what is up to you. Crane had a really bad rap for many years, but with yours being that old and still good, it may run forever. And may be better suited to the high compression and cam. I've never used a Crane but reading the instructions gives me a headache trying to figure out the curve settings

You could run the Ultima now and get accustomed to the features or keep in the tool bag for a roadside fix if the Crane died later. Or send it back, or get the programming cable to change the advance curves to accommodate the 9.5:1 and EV27. Up to you. One note - when programmed with the cable I mentioned, that is all that it will do. That is, the switches are then disabled by the software and any changes have to be made via cable/laptop, including re-enabling the switches.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:26 PM
Adam76
Road Master

Originally Posted by t150vej
Like I said, other than the pre-loaded advance curves, they are identical and yes, D2ki search will bring up the Ultima 53-644 more often than not. (I call that deceptive advertising) I've been running the Ultima since '08, no problems.

When to run what is up to you. Crane had a really bad rap for many years, but with yours being that old and still good, it may run forever. And may be better suited to the high compression and cam. I've never used a Crane but reading the instructions gives me a headache trying to figure out the curve settings

You could run the Ultima now and get accustomed to the features or keep in the tool bag for a roadside fix if the Crane died later. Or send it back, or get the programming cable to change the advance curves to accommodate the 9.5:1 and EV27. Up to you. One note - when programmed with the cable I mentioned, that is all that it will do. That is, the switches are then disabled by the software and any changes have to be made via cable/laptop, including re-enabling the switches.
Yes, very deceptive advertisind - got me for a sucker.

thanks, I think I'm going to try and find that cable to be able to further program the advance curves. I don't like doing something half-assed. Going to all the expense of a mild performance top end and cam, might as well have it tuned and dialed in properly?
Cheers

Old 07-13-2020, 06:00 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,296 Likes on 3,172 Posts

I've got the S&S H4, no problems YET. But I understand it's a reliability issue.
They say the S&S doesn't like the heat in the nosecone.