Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Engine Goes "Clunk," Won't Turn Over

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 04:26 PM
Big'gun Rich
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad news

I pulled the rear valve cover and can't see anything wrong in the valvetrain. The rockers rock, the pushrods push, the tops of the valves are in the valve springs, all keeps are present, but there is no compression back here. Front cylinder makes a ****-tons; blows my finger outta the plug hole. I guess I have to go forward and pull the head. I don't have a borescope to look inside.

Can I pull the head off and the cylinder off if I have to replace the Piston, without removing the engine from the frame? Newby to Harley's, remember...

Right side rockers/pushrods

Left side rockers/valves/springs

Intake valve

Exhaust valve

Old 08-02-2020, 04:46 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,010 Likes on 4,063 Posts

As far as I know, you can pull the top end with the motor in the frame.. The is a procedure for removing the rockers in the manual.

Old 08-02-2020, 05:24 PM
Big'gun Rich
Intermediate
Default Compression release?

These 1200s don't have a compression release for easier starting do they? There's some sort of electrical device by the top of the rear intake pushrod. Thought I'd better check before I tear the top off the rear cylinder. See photo.

The Gizmo my knife blade is touching. Knock sensor? Compression release? Something else?

Old 08-02-2020, 06:00 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

not electrical, breather valve / oil separator.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:34 PM
Big'gun Rich
Intermediate
Default Breather

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
not electrical, breather valve / oil separator.
Yeah, my manual 'splained that. Oh well, I guess I have a hole in a Piston...

Old 08-03-2020, 04:03 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Bore scopes that hook or transmit to your phone ridiculously cheap on amazon. Why don't you order one and then you can see into the cylinder. Sounds like Max nailed it on post #3.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:08 PM
Big'gun Rich
Intermediate

That's exactly what I did. It should be here tomorrow. No sense tearing the cylinder apart without first peeking inside it, though it's got to be a bent valve or a holed piston. The question in my mind is how does an engine with 3407 miles on it break down like this? Sabotage? The bike had some not-riding-related damage when purchased, as if someone beat on it while it was parked. I sure hope it's a bent valve. If something went through the piston, the crankcase will need to be cleaned up.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:22 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Someone mentioned earlier to look at the intake assembly for missing screws. It is quite possible that a screw from the air cleaner assembly was ingested. We have seen plenty of pics of such in here.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:54 PM
Big'gun Rich
Intermediate

Good idea! It has a Screamin Eagle air cleaner on it, but I haven't had it off yet. Now's the time!

Old 08-03-2020, 09:21 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Big'gun Rich
That's exactly what I did. It should be here tomorrow. No sense tearing the cylinder apart without first peeking inside it, though it's got to be a bent valve or a holed piston. The question in my mind is how does an engine with 3407 miles on it break down like this? Sabotage? The bike had some not-riding-related damage when purchased, as if someone beat on it while it was parked. I sure hope it's a bent valve. If something went through the piston, the crankcase will need to be cleaned up.
I'm not sure how a "holed piston" keeps the motor from turning over. There really needs to be something incompressible jammed between a moving and non moving part to stop things.

Quick Reply: Engine Goes "Clunk," Won't Turn Over