Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Plug ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 10:35 AM
m1369x
Road Warrior
Received 676 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Plug ?

History first , '02FXSTI, K&N filter, EBS, V&H Straight Shots (quiet baffle), 6R12G spark plugs.
Ran good, Cold starts good.
Last spring I installed a PV tuner, Ran/Runs like a hoodrat with a Doberman on his A$$, But cold starts suck.
Last month I removed the Quiet Baffles and that improved cold starts a little.
Knowing fuel has been richened (PV) I thought I'd try a hotter plug (bike down a couple of days next week) so thought I'd try the low compression SE plugs.. The counter guy said they stopped pushing that plug cause it constantly threw engine codes (put stock plugs back in & all's good again). & they didn't have in stock.. Gave me NGK cross reff #DCPR6E,
. Is that a good plug to change to? To hot maybe? A better plug? Leave well enough alone? Bad advice from dealer again? Gap it to manual spec?
Living in podunk vill most of my riding is 55 / 85 mph (interstate speed limit is 80 and being past while doing 85 is nothing).
Thanks in advance

Old 06-19-2020, 06:31 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I do not know what those plugs will do for you. And I am no pro, but I would not be changing plugs to correct the problem you vaguely described.

If you want help with your starting problem it might be best to completely describe in detail what the problem is, other then just saying cold starting …

Is it only at certain temps (like below 60,) or anytime when the engine is at ambient temp?
Does it crank at normal speed, or does it crank very slowly?
Does it backfire through the exhaust?
Does it backfire through the intake?
Anytime you start it (hot or cold,) do you smell fuel immediately after it starts?

EFI tuning is an art, and tuning cold starting is an art within an art; I am no artist!

But there are a few tables that can be adjusted to help, like IAC, spark, and VE.

Maybe one of the pros on here can help you out once you have fully described the problem, but I would probably start with the VE tables.