Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

FP3 tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 05:33 PM
tobyhd02
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default FP3 tuning question

Hello, I have a 2015 SGS with Stage 1 air, 4 inch slip-ons, I have the FP 3 installed as well. This weekend I added rinehart true duels, and contacted V&H, they told me what canned tune to install and then to do the auto tune. I did all this and the bike misses, spits and sputters in the 2800 to 3200 RPM range. below is the directions they gave me and I followed. I have an email in to them, but was hoping to get some of the awesome knowledge that is on here!!! Thank you for the help.
*** From Vance and Hines***

Use the map for V&H Eliminator 400 slip ons w/Power Duals, standard baffle for this application. Run the map for 1-2 tanks of fuel, then use Autotune after that if needed. After flashing the base map, I would recommend immediately adjusting the throttle progressivity to 'Aggressive' for much improved throttle response and overall feel. Throttle progressivity and Autotune instructions below.

THROTTLE PROGRESSIVITY

(Do this after flashing your base map)
1) Turn key/handlebar switch both on and connect to FP3 app
2) Go to ‘Map Optimizations’ on the home screen
3) Select ‘Throttle Progressivity'
4) Turn the dial to the ‘Aggressive’ setting
5) Press the back button, then press the lightening bolt to flash

AUTOTUNE INSTRUCTIONS (only use if needed after 1-2 tanks of fuel with Base Map)
**Be advised that while Autotune is active the bike will not perform optimally. The AFR table is not optimized, and the cranking fuel/accel enrichment are turned off. This may translate into poor cold start performance, erratic idle, poor throttle response, and general ride quality issues. These will resolve once you ‘Finish’ the Autotune. Letting the bike fully warmup before riding while Autotune is active will help to slightly diminish some of these symptoms.

1) Go to the Autotune tab in the main menu of the app.
2) Select a base map from which to start (select whichever slot your correct map is in, most likely slot 1 if this is a brand new FP3.
3)Select ‘Quick Setup'
4) It will have you flash the bike to run Autotune, follow the in app instructions (i.e. bike off for 30 seconds, etc.)
5) Once Autotune is active, you'll want to break it down into 3 sessions, approx. 20-60 minutes each.
6) After your first 20-60 minute session, open the app and go into the Autotune section. Select ‘Apply Values' and 'Apply'. This will take the data learned and store it, allowing for more data to be collected.
7) After the second 20-60 minute session do the same thing - ‘Apply Values’ and then ‘Apply'.
8) After the 3rd total session, select ‘Apply Values’ and then select 'Finish'. This will complete the Autotune, taking everything learned from each 'Apply' and will build the map/put it into a new slot.

Last edited by tobyhd02; 06-14-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:33 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I would send them an email through the V&H program in the customer service tab . Tell them exactly what your set up is and explain to them what's happening , be as detailed as possible , don't forget to include what map you have flashed and include your bike's serial # , then upload the map to them in the same tab . They will review the map and may be able to suggest a different map to try or give you some suggestions as to changes you can make .

As the instructions suggested , you should run auto tune after a couple tanks of gas , not right after a new map has been flashed . The bike will run a bit crappy during the auto tune , but when you finally complete the tune and finalize the autotune , it should run nicely . I find the auto tune feature works better if you leave the throttle progressivity on " normal " , then change it to " aggressive " after you've flashed the new tune . This way , will require two flashes in a row , so I suggest you either remove the headlight fuse or lug in your battery tender while flashing your bike .

Give your bike a thorough inspection , making sure you don't have any exhaust leaks or intake leaks .

Exhaust leaks would cause popping on decel or off throttle ( between shifts ) , where an intake leak would cause a higher idle at cold start and erratic idle .

Check the V&H program or the bike's console for error codes just to verify there aren't any .

Old 06-14-2020, 11:26 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

True Duals is not the same as Power Duals. Maybe they misunderstood your setup, you could try a different selection of header, usually the fp3 has option for both.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:51 PM
tobyhd02
Advanced

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
I would send them an email through the V&H program in the customer service tab . Tell them exactly what your set up is and explain to them what's happening , be as detailed as possible , don't forget to include what map you have flashed and include your bike's serial # , then upload the map to them in the same tab . They will review the map and may be able to suggest a different map to try or give you some suggestions as to changes you can make .

As the instructions suggested , you should run auto tune after a couple tanks of gas , not right after a new map has been flashed . The bike will run a bit crappy during the auto tune , but when you finally complete the tune and finalize the autotune , it should run nicely . I find the auto tune feature works better if you leave the throttle progressivity on " normal " , then change it to " aggressive " after you've flashed the new tune . This way , will require two flashes in a row , so I suggest you either remove the headlight fuse or lug in your battery tender while flashing your bike .

Give your bike a thorough inspection , making sure you don't have any exhaust leaks or intake leaks .

Exhaust leaks would cause popping on decel or off throttle ( between shifts ) , where an intake leak would cause a higher idle at cold start and erratic idle .

Check the V&H program or the bike's console for error codes just to verify there aren't any .
Thank you for the input, I followed your advice, I even deleted and reloaded the map. After I uploaded to the site, I called them and while I was on the phone the tech re-mapped my tune and sent it back. The bike runs perfect! thanks for the advice.

Greg: I miss typed, I have the slimline duels. good catch, I was wound up last night and had a few beers....

The following users liked this post:
MyFavRk (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 08:09 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Glad you got it sorted out and bike runs great , enjoys the rides .

Old 06-15-2020, 08:13 PM
tobyhd02
Advanced

Thank you, it does, loving the new power and sound! smile all day long.

The following users liked this post:
MyFavRk (06-15-2020)