Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

'17 Softail Slim S Stalling & FP3 Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 08:05 AM
JakeC7R
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
Morning Jake , sorry your still having issues , no codes come up ? Just for the hell of it , pull your cps , the one next to the oil filter , give it a good cleaning and also check the connector . That connector is placed under the frame ( along with the regulator connector ) below the oil filter . Maybe they need to be cleaned , could have oil on it causing a poor connection . Usually a bad cps will give you more than you describe , rough idle , hard starts etc , but worth a try .

Not sure , did you put in a new temp sensor ? I've seen bad ones that never threw an error code , possible .
Good morning to you! Thanks much for the suggestion. No codes at all - I checked as it was acting up and nothing. I did not replace the temp sensor and here is why - please tell me if my thinking on this is wrong. I run the bike in the "View Sensor Data" mode of the FP3 and I get a consistent temp readout from startup on that never falters. And it appears to be accurate based on the ambient temp, sitting in traffic, etc. So if I am getting a temp reading on the FP3 can the temp sensor still be bad?

I will pull out the cps and clean it - it looks like they run $60 - $70. Should I just order one and replace it?

Old 08-28-2020, 08:42 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

If the temp reading on the fp3 is rising consistently , then I doubt that is your issue . I don't normally replace parts unless there's a code , all depends on how you feel about spending your $$ . If you do buy a new one , at least you'll have a spare . I know I have spare parts , relays , sensors etc , just in case .

Why not test your charging system , cold and hot . First start up of the day , see what the volts are ( volt meter to battery ) let idle and then run it up to 2000 rpm's , should read above 14v , but not over 15v . Run this test again when the bike is fully warm up . Could be a faulty regulator / stator , doubt it , but testing rules out any issues and they're free .

Not sure if I mentioned this , but check the connection at the tps , clean and reconnect . Might want to test the tps for dead spots as well . lots of how vids out there .

Disconnect your battery or pull main fuse . Unplug your ecm and check connections there . Make sure all pins are firmly seated into one another .

Another idea , I've read that V&H can monitor your ride through " real time " using your program to see if there are any discrepancies going on . Something you could talk to them about . I've never done it myself , might be worth a shot .

You definitely have a strange gremlin going on here , hope you find it and squash it like a bug !

Old 08-28-2020, 09:17 AM
JakeC7R
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
If the temp reading on the fp3 is rising consistently , then I doubt that is your issue . I don't normally replace parts unless there's a code , all depends on how you feel about spending your $$ . If you do buy a new one , at least you'll have a spare . I know I have spare parts , relays , sensors etc , just in case .

Why not test your charging system , cold and hot . First start up of the day , see what the volts are ( volt meter to battery ) let idle and then run it up to 2000 rpm's , should read above 14v , but not over 15v . Run this test again when the bike is fully warm up . Could be a faulty regulator / stator , doubt it , but testing rules out any issues and they're free .

Not sure if I mentioned this , but check the connection at the tps , clean and reconnect . Might want to test the tps for dead spots as well . lots of how vids out there .

Disconnect your battery or pull main fuse . Unplug your ecm and check connections there . Make sure all pins are firmly seated into one another .

Another idea , I've read that V&H can monitor your ride through " real time " using your program to see if there are any discrepancies going on . Something you could talk to them about . I've never done it myself , might be worth a shot .

You definitely have a strange gremlin going on here , hope you find it and squash it like a bug !
Good stuff, I will check these out - starting with the crank sensor cleaning and go from there. Thanks again!