Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

sert on a stock h-d

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 11:54 AM
ToBeFrank
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: sert on a stock h-d

I've ordered the PCIII and won't ride my bike until I put it in.
You gotta be kidding! Ride. Get the PCIII, put it in, ride some more.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whether the HD dealers will install the SERT, PC III, or other fuel / engine management systems seems to be up to the individual dealer. Some will tell you that installing any of the controllers will void the warranty. Others will install the controller, dyno tune the bike, and stand behind the work. There seems to be no set standard at this time. Many forum members have had dealer installs of one type of controller or another and no mention made of loss of warranty. You will just have to ask around at the different dealers and see what their take on the SERT, PC III or other controllers is. Whether they actually can void the warranty is some what debatable, just depends on who you are talking to at the time.

Arcane

Old 07-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Slayer
Cruiser

My dealer won't install any aftermarket pipes. They've got a sign in saying that because of EPA rules they won't mod the bikes with O2 sensors. Not sure if that rule applies to non-O2 bikes. Dealer will do service on it but they won't due exhaust installs of anything that's not in the HD catalog.

I went to a local shop and had them install the D&D Fatcat, Arlen Ness Big Sucker & SERT on my 06 Street Bob.

From previous experience with my 01 Sportster it all depends on the shop whether they warranty or not. I had some probs with my bike and at the time was going to an independant shop who told me that I had to deal direct with the MoCo if it was a warranty issue. They'd do the work, I could pay for it out of pocket and try to get reimbursed on it. Talked to the MoCo and once they heard I had an exhaust mod of a Thunderheader they said no go. Ended up cancelling the extra extended warranty on it and got a refund.

The indie shop closed later on and I ended up going to the local stealership for work. In conversations with them, they can straddle the grey areas on the warranty and have things covered despite mods. I think it mostly depends on how 'cool' the service guys are in general and your relationship to them. Since then, the dealership has expanded quite a bit and gotten a lot more corporate (they even have a thumbprint scanner on their timeclock!) and now has stricter rules and is much more concerned with financial profits. Obviously that is the main goal in a business, but it's much more evident than before.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 AM
hernan
Intermediate

...Obviously that is (profits) the main goal in a business...

My bike has 15000miles, already used 4 different pipes (none SE or HD), 3 different A/Cs, and never used any tuner (Only stages mods) the performance hasincreased a lot and never had any problems.

I have my doubts about using a tuner for EVERYTHING like little modsas pipes or a/cs.... I guess the dealers push tuners because they'll sell the tuner, the dynos, the pipes and all others modifications, so its a great deal (for them).

I'm not against to use a tuner, but its pretty obvious that will void warranties, and the only reason I see the dealers to do that is the profit.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:22 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any dealer or service shop that modifies an EPA-sanctioned hydrocarbon-fueled anything can get a substantial fine. Unless it can be proven that the whatever is used solely for off-road private-track competition. This includes lawn mowers and chainsaws. As of a couple years ago now, the local lawn-and-garden shop would not do any work on any part of a chainsaw that affects emission of gases or sounds if the saw had been modified to run right. Put a larger hole in the muffler to let the heat out and snip the plastic stops off the carb to adjust the needles so the saw doesn't burn up after 20 hours and it's illegal to use. $15,000 fine if the shop works on it beyond putting on a new bar and chain and lets it out the door not being in stock state of repair throughout. Like I said, that was a couple of years ago already in Podunk, Indiana.

Once the environment police start writing fines for shops messing with emission-related stuff on regulated bikes it's going to come to a screeching halt.

The downloads for Stage X stuff at the HD shop are certified to be EPA-compatible and pertain to very specific hardware. Substitute Rush mufflers for SEs and although it might work okay (it's supposed to still be hot and quiet) it's not a blessed configuration and even now the dealer/shop who does that can be slapped very hard financially.