Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ECM Destroyed/Replacement Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 11:53 AM
od1nixer
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM Destroyed/Replacement Options

New to the forum and fuel injected Harleys in general. I've been reading and searching this forum for days, and I feel like I'm getting more confused as I go. Simple question, can I replace an ECM myself without dealer involvement? I picked up a 2014 Softail Slim that is in pretty good shape for a good price because this guy managed to dislodge the ECM caddy and it fell down against the rear tire and ate up the ECM. He needed money and wanted out, I wanted a deal. Now I have a bike that I just want to prove runs before I start throwing more money than necessary at it. At first I assumed I needed to go the Thundermax route and completely replace the ECM, but I believe I saw a section in a service manual about replacing the ECM and the procedure to do it. So can I get a used ECM and a service manual and make this work? DTC for the ECM says No Rsp

Also, from what I can tell from the wiring diagram, the twisted pair of red and black wires in the pic that got torn off went to the security antenna. Bike does not have security and there's no DTC related to it. Should I bother replacing?

Old 06-03-2020, 08:02 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,688 Likes on 1,670 Posts

No you would need to get a new or used ECM and then go to a HD dealership and have the ECM programmed for your bike. The new ones you can buy at any dealership come with no programming in them from HD so they can be programmed to fit many different applications.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:42 PM
od1nixer
5th Gear

Thank you. So that being said, is the Thundermax an acceptable option? Looks like fuelmoto has them for 699 right now, but I'll have to deal with the 18mm o2 sensor problem. I did the Holley EFI on my Nova last summer, so I feel like I can handle the software side if this is a viable option.

Also, is that security antenna needed at all if there is no security?

Last edited by od1nixer; 06-03-2020 at 08:43 PM. Reason: another question
Old 06-04-2020, 06:53 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

https://store.thunder-max.com/collec...l%C2%AE-models
I don't know what size bung these come with but they work great and worth the wide band and programming. As for the security you will need the antenna module to be able to use the fob and I believe from 2014 up it is needed to be able to start the bike unless you want to use the bypass pin every time you start it.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:14 AM
Temple Brooks's Boyfriend
Banned
Received 319 Likes on 156 Posts

Go talk to the dealer. They may have take off ECM 's they can help you out with. Worth a shot.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:51 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

I have no idea how much it would cost to get a new or used ECM and have it programmed by a dealer. But why not get the Tmax, it's a great tuner and if you'll be doing any performance upgrades, and maybe the bike already has some. Then you'd be all set to get it tuned properly, stock or not.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:03 PM
od1nixer
5th Gear

Yeah that's kind of the way I'm leaning. The only reason I'm considering a stock ecm is because it might be the quickest and easiest (probably cheapest) way to verify there is nothing wrong with the motor.
My fear of going down the Thundermax/tuner route is if I encounter issues getting it to run, I'll never know for sure if it is an ECM/tuner issue or a motor/internal issue. I like to isolate as many variables as possible at a time.
For clarification, I have never heard the bike run. It came from an unknown Craigslist source for cheap. I can't believe anything dude said. Motor appears to be completely stock. Stock pipes/air cleaner all that. 4k miles on the odometer. I tend to believe that it will run, but alot of stupid things can be done to a motorcycle in 4k miles.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:21 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

It's a good idea to be cautious. Before trying to start it, you can make sure you have compression, and check to make sure the pistons, pushrods and all valvetrain parts are moving. Use a borescope to look at the cylinders. You can also check to see if it threw any codes.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:40 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

Depending on your relationship with the dealer around $380 dollars.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:55 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,184 Likes on 5,845 Posts

If you replace the ECM remember the speedometer is married to it...so unless you can find a used one with matching speedo...it will need replacing also...

Quick Reply: ECM Destroyed/Replacement Options