Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

1999 Dyna Lowrider Will not start. Possible ignition module?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 01:39 PM
Tyler Kl
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dyna Lowrider Will not start. Possible ignition module?

I have a 1999 Low rider with 27k on it. The bike has always started right up with no issues. The other day I went to go for a ride, the bike fired right up and ran for about 3 minutes while I moved some stuff around in the shop. I went to hop on it and it sputtered and died. Upon trying to start it again i had to feather the throttle like crazy to get it to start but I could not keep it running. Now the bike will crank over all day with spark. I have an inline spark tester that shows consistent spark in both cylinders. I have removed the carb twice and cleaned it setting everything back to where is was before taking it apart. I checked the vacuum shut off valve for the gas and that works as it should. I replaced the crank position sensor being I had one laying around. New battery, plugs. I have the ignition module off and the coil off at the moment trying to test them. Can you have weak spark that would not ignite the fuel fully? When you crank the bike over you can feel heat in bother exhaust pipes. I know that you need fuel and spark with timing to make it run. I am knowledgeable in working on Harleys but this one has me frustrated. When I test the coil with my multimeter i zero it out and then tough the primary points and it will give me a reading for a second and then its at 0 along with the secondary. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I know i have compression as well. I have not checked timing as far as the cams with the crank but find it unlikely that has moved from and idle and that far that it did not get a valve.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:30 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Looks like you found the issue, the HD Factory Service Manual Electrical Diagnostics has the ohms readings that you should be getting on bothering the primary and secondary coils.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:39 AM
Tyler Kl
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
Looks like you found the issue, the HD Factory Service Manual Electrical Diagnostics has the ohms readings that you should be getting on bothering the primary and secondary coils.
I rechecked it and i did get numbers on the primary but they were low so I ordered a coil. Will post with an update when it arrives.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:42 AM
ajax5777
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t know but I would check that vacuum petcock again. 3 minutes is about a fuel bowls worth of idle and the feathering throttle then nothing. I hate those things and usually install a blanking plate. Just saying cause I have wasted money on electrical parts before only to find something simple. Good luck.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:22 PM
Tyler Kl
3rd Gear

Still no luck with this bike with a new coil. The exhaust will get slightly warm when trying to start it but it will not start. Do I have a fuel issue? I have removed the carb twice and cleaned it.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:48 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

How old is the fuel in the bike?

Old 06-01-2020, 10:01 PM
Tyler Kl
3rd Gear

It is high octane kwik trip fuel from about a month ago now but it was only a week old when this started.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:05 PM
Tyler Kl
3rd Gear
Default No luck

I replaced the coil and that made no difference. I have great spark and it will throw you back when it zaps you too. I took the carb off tonight again and took the jets out and cleaned them along with the other ports. Nothing is in the carb for sure now. All vacuum lines on the bike are ok after testing them. It will sputter when turning it over now. It will not start though. I did also take off the cam cover to make sure the chains did not skip and it was a timing issue. They are still tight with minimal wear. I replaced the cam bearings about 1000 miles ago along with slides and tensioners. My question now is it possible the screaming eagle ignition module is throwing the ignition timing off so bad it will not run? Also, I cannot figure out why my tach isn't working while turning the bike over.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:30 PM
ajax5777
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

so with the air cleaner off and the fuel turned on, looking into the the carb are you getting a squirt of fuel when you twist the throttle, right there at the front opening of the carb at the accel pump nozzle.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:00 PM
Tyler Kl
3rd Gear

There is fuel that squirts out of the accelerator pump when you twist the throttle. I have replaced the coil plugs wires Ignition module crank position sensor, and tested the bank angle sensor. I have great blue spark. It will try and start on ether. (I know its not healthy for the bike). I can not find a broken or shorted wire on the bike. I have cleaned the carb and inspected the intake boots. Still no luck.