Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Softail issue please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 06:21 AM
CashCow206
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail issue please help!

Hello, I am having a serious problem with my 2013 Softail, in stop and go traffic just recently I have had an issue with my engine suddenly reving at high rpms and staying stuck on from time to time, seems to happen at complete random. Kind of like a really high idle only the bike wants to GO. Pretty scary and really not OK, usually pulling to the side and shutting her down and firing it back up will temporarily fix it until it happens again. I've eliminated obvious reasons for this happening such as making sure the cruise assist isn't engaged, inspecting the throttle cable and air intake which is opening and closing properly. The throttle itself rolls on and snaps back perfectly fine. The issue must be electrical, my best guess would be a sensor problem. Either throttle positioning sensor or perhaps maybe the engine temp control sensor as I have done a little research but I really dont know! I checked my error codes and it shows it having a bad rear O2 sensor but I'm also getting the code U0156 (lost communication with speedometer) I have no clue what this means and am having a difficult time finding any information on it running a Google search. The last thing I want to do is have to take my baby into the stealership to have them take advantage, rake me over the coals and feed me to the wolves with my pockets turned inside out left high and dry!
Thanks in advance to all of my beloved HD motorcycle enthusiasts, for taking the time and consideration to help me. Its an honor and a privilege to be a part of the brotherhood! Ride safe, shiny side up, rubber side down. 😜

- Travis Williams
Seattle, WA ✌😎

Last edited by CashCow206; 05-23-2020 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:32 AM
AbqDave
Tourer
Received 186 Likes on 97 Posts

Interesting read especially in light of the speedo issue https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...le-issues.html also touches on TPS and vacuum leaks. Interesting though it may be, I don't personally see how I could troubleshoot it in the garage.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:49 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

How old is your battery? Have you checked ground and terminal connections? Could be, and I am far from an expert, a loose or shorted/damaged wire, connector maybe?

Old 05-23-2020, 02:21 PM
Oldgreazer
Tourer
Received 179 Likes on 65 Posts

My Heritage did the same thing several years ago, turned out to be the idle are control was sticking .

Old 05-23-2020, 04:44 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,575 Likes on 10,772 Posts

Hi CC206, sry to hear abt ur issue. I moved it to a more appropriate area. Hopefully it will help you.

Also, see below my friend........

Old 05-23-2020, 05:00 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,100 Likes on 6,141 Posts

My 2013 Heritage has done that too me in the past but it hasn't done it since last summer.

Here's what I found out.
When my original battery died I replaced with a cheaper non AGM battery and what a mistake that was.
I started getting hard starts, high/low idle issues and inaccurate fuel gauge readings. It wasn't until I put the proper 500cca AGM battery in the bike last December when all those issues went away.

I also made it habit of cleaning Idle Air Control valve with carb cleaner every other oil change which helped before I installed the proper battery.

Last edited by JustDave13; 05-23-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:41 PM
CashCow206
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave13
My 2013 Heritage has done that too me in the past but it hasn't done it since last summer.

Here's what I found out.
When my original battery died I replaced with a cheaper non AGM battery and what a mistake that was.
I started getting hard starts, high/low idle issues and inaccurate fuel gauge readings. It wasn't until I put the proper 500cca AGM battery in the bike last December when all those issues went away.

I also made it habit of cleaning Idle Air Control valve with carb cleaner every other oil change which helped before I installed the proper battery.
Sorry for the delayed response all and thank you!
Hmmmm Idle air control valve very interesting.. I will have to look into this and find out where it is located!
Very much appreciated, also will take a closer look at my battery, I'm pretty good about keeping it on the maintainer/trickle charger.
Also I might add my hog has a Dynojet mapped to the ECU not sure if this is related to the issue in any way...
I will do everything in my power to solve this.

Last edited by CashCow206; 05-24-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:32 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,575 Likes on 10,772 Posts
Old 05-25-2020, 08:11 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,100 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by CashCow206
Sorry for the delayed response all and thank you!
Hmmmm Idle air control valve very interesting.. I will have to look into this and find out where it is located!
Very much appreciated, also will take a closer look at my battery, I'm pretty good about keeping it on the maintainer/trickle charger.
Also I might add my hog has a Dynojet mapped to the ECU not sure if this is related to the issue in any way...
I will do everything in my power to solve this.
The IAC valve is located at 12 o'clock on the throttle body, you can see the port when you remove the air filter. Also make sure you have the right battery for the bike, I'm running a 500cca AGM I got from Amazon. With the right battery all the quirks including idle control issues went away.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:17 PM
ahern25
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave13
The IAC valve is located at 12 o'clock on the throttle body, you can see the port when you remove the air filter. Also make sure you have the right battery for the bike, I'm running a 500cca AGM I got from Amazon. With the right battery all the quirks including idle control issues went away.
Check here first. Usually the simplest answer is the right answer. At least we hope.

Have you done anything with the pipes or air cleaner? Install or changes at all? If their is a manifold leak it will rev real high as well. The leak will cause the system to think you are pulling in air when you are not. Something to check when you get a chance.

Quick Reply: Softail issue please help!