Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Possible Loose Battery Terminal

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Lowman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Loose Battery Terminal

I checked all the self-help threads and did a search - and I am pretty sure I know what the problemis - but I wanted to throw it out there.

I ride a 1993 Fatboy - bike is in great condition.

On the way home from a ride this weekend, I was coming to a red light and I realized that the bike had "stalled" (for lack of a better word). I tried starting it and got nothing - turned the kill switch on and off and got it to turn over but did catch - tried a few more times and I got her started- but she was almost "missing" when I gave her gas. I almost felt like how a car feels as the alternator starts to die - it had an electrical feel to it, rather than what a bike feels like when it's runnning out of gas etc.

I stayed on the throttle a little bit just to try and keep the revs up and made it the last 1/2 mile home.

1) Plenty of fuel in the tank
2) Fuel was in the "On" position
3) All the battery fluid levels are where they should be

I'm really thinking there is a loose wire somewhere - probably one of the terminals. I am pulling the battery this weekend to check everything - but I just wanted an opinion.

Does this sound like something that could be cause by a loose wire or terminal cable?

Thanks for any feedback...

JB

Old 11-02-2005, 05:09 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Possible Loose Battery Terminal

carbed I assume being a 93 or FI, how much gas in the tank exactly?

Old 11-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Lowman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to specify that it is carbed but I thought I might look silly stating as much for a 1993 Fatboy...but yes - I am running a Mikuni HSR Carb.

I had at the very least over 3/4 of a tank of gas. I had filled up earlier in the day and had only ridden 15 miles or so when this happened.

Joe

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

carbed I assume being a 93 or FI, how much gas in the tank exactly?

Old 11-14-2005, 04:52 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had exactly what you described happen to my 05 1200c sporttie - turned out to be the crank sensor - let the bike cool off and she ran great till warm - very aggrivating as it was checked several times - didn't show bad till I told them to ride it hard and if they got more than 20 miles, the beer was on me - he made it 3 (tech @ dealer) - the problem was back (so I though) but the second time, all the panel lights (all two of them:chk enj/oil) it turned out to be a bad voltage reg that was not fully charging - at higher rpms, I could keep the bike running, but once the bat. went flat, I was a waitin for the tow truck.