Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

1200C Sportster Fuel Injected Stalling Coughing Backfire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 10:04 PM
Sidewayzgt
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1200C Sportster Fuel Injected Stalling Coughing Backfire?

I have an 09 Sportster 1200C fuel injected. I just bought this bike and it was sitting for 2 years. I just recently replaced the gas, fuel filter, spark plugs and cleaned the fuel injectors. The bike will start right up but not idle correctly for more then 10 seconds (cold or hot) before stalling out with a cough of whitish smoke through the intake. It is throwing codes P0131 and P0151. I have a really weird feeling it’s the charging system but do not know where to start? I put a multimeter on the battery and started the bike. After 10 seconds of idling ok the voltage went to 14.2 and it stalled out. It was at about 13.5 when it was idling ok. Don’t want to go further into it and mix anybody up. Does anybody have any ideas?

Old 05-03-2020, 04:49 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

I usually see about 14 volts on my Sportster when running.
(it is usually a little lower just after starting)

Since you are getting both front and rear lean codes, I would check for an intake leak.
I would also recheck your fuel injector connections- for backed out pins or possible not fully connected connectors.
Make sure you have the front and rear connections correct (since you "cleaned" the injectors)
Both will have a yellow wire with a green stripe (Y / GN)
The front injector will have a second wire white with a yellow stripe (W/ Y)
The rear will have a second wire green with a gray stripe ( GN / GY)

2009 WIRING DIAGRAMS

Make sure the O2 sensors are tight, if loose air might enter the exhaust and show lean or the O2 sensor can loose it's ground connection.

Make sure the exhaust headers are tight at the cylinder heads. same reasons as the loose O2 sensors.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:04 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

how did you clean the injectors?
fuel pressure correct and regulator working?
do not think it to be the charge system.
idle air control working and not sticking?

Old 05-03-2020, 11:56 AM
Sidewayzgt
Novice

I removed the injectors and pressure cleaned them with rubber tubing and brake cleaner.

not sure how to test fuel pressure regulator? I just replaced the filters but it was running like this before I took it out.

I cleaned everything when I removed the intake and nothing looked bad. Not sure how to test the IAC?

The bike starts right up every time, runs good for 5 seconds starts coughing out the intake and stalls with a puff of white smoke. I tested the o2’s and they are working ok as well.

Originally Posted by bustert
how did you clean the injectors?
fuel pressure correct and regulator working?
do not think it to be the charge system.
idle air control working and not sticking?

Old 05-03-2020, 01:44 PM
Sidewayzgt
Novice

I just removed the IAC and it is clean. The spring popped out after a actuating the motor a couple of times. I was able to screw it back in and it works fine. The electric motor seems to be working ok. One thing that I did not mention. The bike has a SuperTrap muffler system and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner. The bike does not have a power commander and had a dead battery for over a year. I’m not sure if it is possible for it to lose its programming. It supposedly ran fine before he parked it.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:04 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

the o2 should not be in circuit until a engine permissive is given like temp. they have a window of about two minutes and then they will throw. if it is a three wire sensor, is the heater working. do you have fire to the end?? inline spark tester.
have you checked the sensor reading the flywheel rotation?

Old 05-04-2020, 06:17 AM
Sidewayzgt
Novice

They are 2 wire o2’s and do not have a heater. I do have a spark tester and will check the plugs. I’m guessing you are referring to the crank position sensor? I am not getting any codes for it and do not know of any other way to test it? I’m going to drain the gas again as well. Maybe the gas I put in was bad again?

Originally Posted by bustert
the o2 should not be in circuit until a engine permissive is given like temp. they have a window of about two minutes and then they will throw. if it is a three wire sensor, is the heater working. do you have fire to the end?? inline spark tester.
have you checked the sensor reading the flywheel rotation?

Old 05-04-2020, 02:49 PM
Sidewayzgt
Novice

Just pulled the new plugs and they were pretty dark (especially the rear cylinder). The bike seems to be running rich. I am still only getting the o2 sensor codes but I tested both of them yesterday and they were fine. I’m going to replace the gas today but what else could make it run rich like this? These are pics of the plugs top is front cylinder and bottom rear cylinder.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:09 PM
Sidewayzgt
Novice

I replaced the gas and added a fuel additive. The bike starts and will idle if I’m slightly on the throttle. I think the throttle needs adjustment but I do not have the tools to adjust it accurately on a fuel injected bike. It will also idle fine a little longer but will still cough from the intake. It is very small but frequent coughs now. I have no codes anymore and I let it run for a good 10 minutes before it coughed out the intake and stalled.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:04 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

First do you have a service manual? Second fuel injector cleaning would be done with power to the injector as well as the tube and carb cleaner. Does the fuel pump prime? You may need to check fuel pressure as well. You do not have 2 3/8" wrenches to adjust the throttle? You adjust the throttle for the WOT position on the pull side and about 1/8" play on the idle side ensure that the throttle snaps back in all bar directions. There is no actual idle adjustment on a fuel injected HD, it is ECM controlled and can be adjusted with a tuner.

Last edited by Zanthamos; 05-05-2020 at 01:19 AM.