Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ARGGG ... automatic turn signal blues

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:43 AM
uktzero
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARGGG ... automatic turn signal blues

I have a 1990 FLHS with the auto canceling turn signals ... at this point, I'm about to perform ultimate fighting against them

Maybe 1 time out of 15 will they actually stay on until the point that I would normally (and safely) turn them off ... and I almost always have to re-do the signal 2-3 times every time I'm making a turn that isn't a lane change

I completely understand all of thereasons and things that happen as far as speed, leaning, braking and thatkind of stuff that the system uses to decide when to turn them off, it's just WAY too sensitive and unreliable

I generally like to make extra sure that I'm seen when I'm riding any bike, and I never weave in and out of traffic, or make a fast lane change – so I may prefer to have my signals on for a few more blinks than the average person … but nothing extreme

Now I understand that people don't want the extreme inconvenience of having to turn off the signals by themselves ... I mean, who would … but frantically stabbing at the damn thing to make sure it’s on, and the resulting paranoia that comes from them almost always turning off at the most inopportune times

I'm used to metric sport bikes - 1 little right-left-center switch on the left grip, it would stay on for 4 years straight if I didn't turn them off ... and that's the way they should be on a bike (the operation, not the switch style)

Now, here's my dilemma - I actually LIKE having a turn button on each grip and I'm quite used to that by now ... but this auto-canceling turn signal thing has to go

Is there any sensitivity adjustment that anyone knows about, or better yet, a way to completely (and non-destructively) bypass it altogether so my signals still work as they should, but I would have to cancel them manually 100% of the time?

I've seen the puny gimbal, gyro or whatever they're using for attitude orientation monitoring box (I call it the box that god forgot) - but I don't want to mess with it unless I can either get it to behave, or get it to go to sleep until I no longer own the bike

I've seen some bizarre problems in the tech forum, stuff that I wouldn't have ever guessed would plague a bike ... and the flood of genuinely lucid and intelligent answers from the forum members on this site amazes me

not only do you guys know what you're doing, but you are willing to help out - so, I think if I'm going to be able to lick this problem without the use of nuclear weapons, this forum is my best shot

I have the factory service manual, but it's almost no help at all when it comes to do with this evil little box beyond describing the location

Can anyone please help me? ... I'm very technical minded, and don't mind taking stuff apart down to the guts or getting dirty, and don’t mind if I have to spend some money to do it right - so it's just a matter of knowing how to get this particular problem corrected

Thanks in advance
Chris

Old 12-14-2007, 11:19 AM
MosesJJN
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ARGGG ... automatic turn signal blues

Bro...I have a 1994 XL w/auto cancelling turn signals and back in '97 a mechanic(at my request) did something to turn them off. Now they are totally manual; the way I like it.

But for the life of me I can't remember what he did.

Anyone reading this...I now have a brand new XL...and I want to turn off the auto feature on it, too.

Anybody know how to do that?

Thanks much in advance.

For older bikes (I am cut/pasting from another place on this forum - I read this and slapped myself in the head saying, "That's right NOW I remember!")

Ok, so for anyone interested, disconnecting the reed switch will allow the turn signals to run as long as you want until you hit the button again to cancel them. To do this on pre '03 bikes, mine is a 94 (Hugger) take off the back of the speedo cover (2 nuts) disconnect the reed switch wire, on my bike (white wire with green stripe)and that's all there's too it. (Just remember to tape up or otherwise insulate wire end so it don't ground out.)Just have to remember to cancel the signal after a turn though.

So...anyone know how to do thisona 20071200 XL?