Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dyno question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Slayer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyno question

ORIGINAL: Wags1
ORIGINAL: Slayer
I just had a D&D Fatcat 2-into-1 exhaust, SERT and Arlen Ness Big Sucker installed on my 06 Dyna Street Bob. They did an hour dyno tune and here's my results.
Hope they didn't charge you too much...one hour is not a dyno tune. I doubt that they did much beyond what you could have done yourself with some tweaking of the tables and a couple of seat of the pants test runs. An actual dyno tune takes 3-5 hours.
I got charged 2 hours for the exhaust install, 0.5 for the race tuner and air cleaner install and then 1 hour for the dyno. 3.5 hours total labor.

Seems like the general consensus is that they gave either gave me a "quickie" dyno job or are super-quick miracle workers in dyno-ing (or maybe the Mustang has some super fast speed to it). I don't necessarily need the tuning file, I'm just curious what map they used on the race tuner (since I paid enough for it) and am concerned since most feel that a complete dyno should take 3-5 hours whereas mine was billed for 1 hour.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:18 AM
Deluxe07
Cruiser

Hey Wags1, just a quick question.....why is it important to get a copy of the dyno tune file??

Thanks

Old 07-23-2007, 06:57 AM
Wags1
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Deluxe07

Hey Wags1, just a quick question.....why is it important to get a copy of the dyno tune file??

Thanks
Their is no way to pull an existing calibration file off of the ECM. If you would ever need to make any change whatsoever to your calibration file, lets say you just wanted to change the idle RPM at a certain engine temperature. you could not unless you had the a copy of the existing calibration file. Basically without a copy, if you want/need to change anything at all you would have to take it back to the place that did the original tune and have them make the change, and of course hope they still have a copy of the tuned calibration file on their computer and can find it.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:10 AM
Wags1
Tourer

ORIGINAL: geargrinder

ORIGINAL: Slayer

According to the printout it's a Mustang Dynamometer Test Report. Also lists a website for the company www.mustangdyne.com.

When I brought it in they said they usually take 1-2 hours to do the Dyno tune, but they'd only charge me an hour. Do you think they did a half-*** job? Now what do I do??
Most Mustang Dynamometers are eddie current style,very popular in the automotive chassis dyno business. I would guess that there are more eddie current Mustangbrand chassis dynos used there then any other brand. DynoJets usually read 10-15% higherHP/TQ numbers then the many other brands of dynos in the automotivedyno arena,I'm sure it's true in the motorcycle dyno arena also, it's better for business to read higher.

Tuners are not abligated to provide theircustom tuning file unless agreed to in advance, thensome maydecideif they will expose certain tuningtechniques to the public and their competition. There is a big descrepency in tuning skills from tuner to tuner because tuning is more of an art then a science and here again, likein the automotive tuning field,some of the best tuners consider their file a "trade secret" and proprietary. As the motorcyle tuning profession matures, we will probably see more of this by top tuners. These tuners are usuallyso busy with a long backlogthat they do not concern themselves with the few who will not go to them for a tune if they can't have a copy of the tuning file.
You are right which is why I always tell folks to get that agreed to upfront. Most tuners will give you a copy of the tuned calibration file. If they don't agree I suggest finding another tuner. IMHO, if I am paying you $200-$400 for a dyno tune I darn well better get a copy of the final tuned calibration file. It is in fact part of what I am paying for although others certainly will disagree. If the tuner is that concerned with his/her "intellectual property" then have me sign a non-disclosure/personal use only agreement. Most people would be happy to do that. I suspect though that any reluctance to give you your tuned calibration file is more about wantingto lock you intofollow-on business anytime you need something tweaked then it is about them protecting any "trade secrets".