Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT Installation question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:40 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default SERT Installation question

Hi all. Has anyone installed their own SERT tuner? If so, how is the connector programed to the ECM? Or is it when you install the SERT on your PC that you enter the CD key for the program and the VIN from you bike?

If it is the case where the software is programed to the SERT, then should I even bother having the dealer "install" the Tuner? Should I schedual a dyno appointment to have it installed AND tuned?

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Thanks

-Ed

Old 07-19-2007, 11:39 PM
FXSTCHEWY
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SERT Installation question

All I did was connect everything, got program up and running, turned on IGN and RUN, waited about 10-15 seconds, then I went, File...Program Ecm....Get info.......It read the VIN and all that stuff, then I think it was load program.......it said Done.....cut off IGN........Done. Took all of 2 min's. More of a problem connecting all those cables. Chewy

Old 07-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Wags1
Tourer

Their is no reason to pay a dealer or anyone else to "install" a SERT. You really don't "install" anything on the bike. It is a tool and a way to connect,communicate, and upload/download data to/from your ECM. You do install the software on your computer/laptop. The dongle is automatically "mated" with your bike the first time you download a calibration file to the ECM. If you only connect it and read information form the ECM it does note mate.

When and if you want to have your bike dyno tuned then you just take your dongle with you and give it to the tuner. Their should never be a charge for "installing" a SERT although I know lots of dealers do it...IMHO it is a rip-off.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:28 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will need the sert, a set of cables (not included with newer versions) and if your laptop does not have a serial port, a adapter from serial to usb connector. Hook it all up, read the instructions and turn on switch and run button, its not hard but is best done by someone with a little computor knowledge. Next is to select a close map from the limited ones included on the disc. If you have a 07 you will need the latest version with updated maps which is sert ending part # with J

Old 07-20-2007, 07:30 PM
DavyDiesel
Cruiser

https://www.hdforums.com/m_297916/tm.htm

Old 07-20-2007, 08:11 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior

Gun runner, I contacted both Chicago Harley and Tucson Harley and both stated that the SERT with part number 32107-01G was the correct SERT for my Bike. Now, if that IS the case that J is the correct SERT for my 2007 FatBoy does that mean the entire SERT is unusable, or does it simply mean that I will have to have a tuner manually adjust most/all portions of the map?

OR does it simply mean there are less precanned MAPS to choose from? As stated both dealers listed 32107-01G as the correct part number for my bike.

I have two computers and will be installing the SERT program on one of them. Yeah its not a laptop, but screw it. I can pull my rig outside!

thanks for the help guys!

Old 07-20-2007, 11:53 PM
07_103_NT
Cruiser

I believe less scanned 07 maps.You can buy j series disk24.00 bucks cdn and you'r set

Old 07-21-2007, 09:40 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior

Well, I guess my main thing that I want is to know if there is enough of a selection of precanned maps that Ill be able to install my stage one, upgrade the ECU, and be able to ride it to have it Dyno tuned.

Just need to get it from my house to the Dyno without putting holes in my pistons or melting anything from running too lean!

Old 07-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Wags1
Tourer

ORIGINAL: ebeattie

Well, I guess my main thing that I want is to know if there is enough of a selection of precanned maps that Ill be able to install my stage one, upgrade the ECU, and be able to ride it to have it Dyno tuned.

Just need to get it from my house to the Dyno without putting holes in my pistons or melting anything from running too lean!
Yes, you will be fine. Their are enough canned calibration files included for you to find one that is close enough. Open the right canned calibration file, max out the closed loop bias table, and load it onto your ECM. You will be fine until you get achance to have it dyno tuned.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:03 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior

If I may ask wags, what is this closed loop bias you speak of? Is it like a setting to increase the A/F mixture?

Also, when I have to update an ECM at work (Im a lexus tech) I genrally hookup a tender to the car battery so that the system voltage remains at a steady (at or a little north of) 12V. Im sure that this is a good thing to do for my bike right? I have NO desire to fry my ECU because of low/improper voltage!

Quick Reply: SERT Installation question