Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Won’t start !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 04:21 PM
Jordan Stephens
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won’t start !!

Hello I bought a 2010 street glide from a auction recently without any real information on it , usually I have good luck but not this time , the bike from what I can see doesn’t have security on it but does have a thunder max tuner on it , bike cranks but won’t start .. it’s getting spark and fuel , after cranking a couple times the plugs get wet so I’m assuming it’s getting at least enough to try to start , it’s also getting spark so I’m kind of confused , the only luck I’ve had is spraying a little amount of brake cleaner in the air cleaner it tried to fire .. I was leaning toward the tuner or coil not getting a good enough spark ?? I also put new plugs in and nothing ??

Old 02-16-2020, 04:27 PM
Rick17FLH
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Has it run at all since you bought it? If not, have you any idea how old the gas might be?

Old 02-16-2020, 07:37 PM
Jordan Stephens
Stage IV

Originally Posted by FLHTKcdn
Has it run at all since you bought it? If not, have you any idea how old the gas might be?
no it hasn’t and I put gas in when I bought it

Old 02-16-2020, 08:22 PM
Rick17FLH
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jordan Stephens
no it hasn’t and I put gas in when I bought it
The wet plugs sound like its flooding. All I can think is to check for a loose or broken vacuum line... too much air for the spark to ignite the mixture.

Good luck - I'm out of ideas

Old 02-17-2020, 06:59 AM
Jordan Stephens
Stage IV

I’m thinking the wet plugs would be the excessive cranking

Old 02-17-2020, 07:14 AM
ghost183
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

if the plugs are wet after several seconds of cranking.. the Tmax is dumping fuel

dry out everything and try cranking it several seconds WIDE OPEN.. Tmax will default and bypass any maps in there

but again.. dry everything out

Old 02-17-2020, 09:09 AM
Rick17FLH
Cruiser

One more thing came to mind. You might want to do a compression test on both cylinders. If the mixture isn't getting sufficiently compressed, it won't burn. I hope it isn't that because that would be pricey.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:14 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,001 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Brake cleaner is not starting fluid. One I use won't even burn. Most will but hazzardes fumes. Be careful but remove air cleaner and just mist it with fresh fuel. On a 2010, if you saw spark, you are OK. Bad fuel is hard to tell. Remove the tuner. I personally would throw it away.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-17-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:54 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

Using brake cleaner in the intake? All these products have different names so that people use them for the proper purposes.
You should check for codes, and also check the diagnostics in the TMax software. Make sure you have the latest firmware from TMax downloaded.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:10 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

I'm with Nevill, use a laptop and install the Thundermax software and use a USB to mini-usb chord to connect to the ECM. Launch the software, turn the key to on and flip the switch to run. Do not start. The software will detect the connection and ask to connect to the ECM. In one of the drop down list at the top you can get the error codes. You can also read the current tuning map out and you may want to put one of the stock maps in to see if the timing on the old map was bad.

Quick Reply: Won’t start !!