Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

My Experience with the FP3 on the Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 02:21 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts
Default My Experience with the FP3 on the Dyno

Ok got a bike in the shop that needs tuned. come to find out unknown to me or my buddy that it has a FP3 on it, not set up correctly, of course. 2018 softail slim. so i get the right map loaded in it for what he has on it, and OK, its not so bad. i start to try to tweek some things in the tune to see if i can get it better. this unit appears to have most of the same tables and access to stuff like a PV or TTS. First thing i try to work with is the rev limiter. No dice here. I make changes to the table, flash the tune to the ecm, then make a run to try to cofirm, and little or no change. Had to set the rev limiter to 7100 just to get the thing to rev up to 6000. Go back in and start to try to work with the speed limiter and throttle progressivity. turn the limiter off, and set the progressivity up to it's most agressive settings, in 5th and 6th, bike wont pull past 4500rpm.
I know with the TTS and the PV that these changes actually work, why not with the FP3????? and of course it's the weekend and VH is closed. Most current firmware and any other updates i could find have also been done. With the release of the FP3 Wideband stuff, i was almost getting excited about maybe trying this stuff out, now not so much. Just my current rant, so if anyone has some direction, i'm glad to take it, thanks.
marco

Old 02-15-2020, 02:30 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 306 Likes on 211 Posts

No help for you. I tried with an open mind to tune the FP3 on the dyno. Mediocre results. Very difficult and time consuming to adjust the tables by using a phone interface. I won’t tune with them since.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:44 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

i understand, and feel the same. i was just hoping to help out a friend and keep his cash output to a minimum. anyone else?
m

Old 02-16-2020, 09:32 PM
Jay_FLHXS
Cruiser
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by marcodarq
i understand, and feel the same. i was just hoping to help out a friend and keep his cash output to a minimum. anyone else?
m
I've had good luck with V&H tech support with the FP3 in the past. Just shoot them an email. I had a FP3 on my softail slim S and Harley had an ECM update that screwed up my tune. They were able to send me an update that fixed it.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:25 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

Oh well, another strike against VH today. Called tech support and they were not able to answer my questions about my issues, and said that they could do nothing because their servers were down. Not looking good.
m

Old 02-18-2020, 08:40 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member

Ok, the verdict is now final. No FP3's for me and my people. Got confirmation from VH tech today that the limiters can not be manipulated in the way that i want. For all the haters, it might work out for you and if you are happy with your results, great! This product is now on the no go ghostrider shelf for my place.
m

Old 02-19-2020, 03:48 AM
Lambda
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by marcodarq
Ok, the verdict is now final. No FP3's for me and my people. Got confirmation from VH tech today that the limiters can not be manipulated in the way that i want. For all the haters, it might work out for you and if you are happy with your results, great! This product is now on the no go ghostrider shelf for my place.
m
The more I read about the FP3 the more I believe the device is a joke when it comes down to serious tuning