Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Running Lights burn out

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Bobby Joe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Lights burn out

I am having problems with my right running light. I have the 2005 Heritage and the right running light keeps burning out and it's getting expensive. I have the clear bulbs because they look cool but the price tage for these suckers is killing me. Has anyone had a problem with blowing the running light bulb and how did you fix it. Am I just getting a rash of crapy bulbs??

Old 07-17-2007, 10:50 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Running Lights burn out

I used to run a higher wattage bulb in my headlight until I found myself replacing it to often. Back to stock, no problems anymore, may apply here also.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Navychief
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure why it happens, but if you are getting your bulbs at the dealer, you can save a few $$ at auto zone. Picked one up in Key West for 7.50. Didn' even check dealer price.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:05 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

My buddies 05 Heritage is the same way, goes through those things like crazy. He just switched to a newer style of lights with replaceable bulbs that can be found at any auto parts store.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Boomer422
6th Gear

Sounds like you are running the halogen running lights? Bet your dealer keeps selling you the whole light (lens & bulb) anhd says the bulb alone can't be replaced, huh? That's what I went through. Actually, if you take the HD halogen lense and cut the rubber boot on the back, you will find a standard, H-3 halogen bulb that can be replaced with any H-3 from any auto store. That way, you can get the wattage you want. Standard HD halogen is 35 watt, I put 55 watt in mine. Get good bulbs though. Between the heat generated by halogen and the vibration of HD, they will go through cheap ones quicker.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:34 PM
timgunde
Stage II

I have the same issue with my 2007 Softail Standard. I've only had the bike for 2 months and I'm on my 5th bulb. The original harley bulb lasted about a month, then I put in a standard car bulb (1157) the first one seemed to last about a week, then next another week, then the last one only lasted a few days. I went to the dealer this morning and he's never heard of this being an issue. Scheduled an appointment for next week. Bough one of those $4 long life (haha) harley bulbs and installed it today, we'll see how long it's life is. I'll probably get my volt meter out later today and see if I can see any differences between the left and right running light.

fyi, my problem is with the left side and because I ordered the Rider Essentials kit, the dealer installed the running light (turn signail) relocation kit on my bike. Are your lights in the standard position or have they been relocated? I can't see there being more voltage on one side then the other, but I wonder if the connection is intermittent to the bulb. Maybe a slight open condition is created when I hit a bump, turning the light off and back on really quickly. We all know that a light bulb that is turned off and on a lot will not last as long as one that is left on. It's all speculation on my part, but it's the best theory I have at this time. Anyone else have an idea?

Again, it's the turn signail/running light that's burning out and more specifically the running light part of it. The turn signail still works fine as this is a dual element bulb.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Bobby Joe
Cruiser

It's the spot light bulb. There are spots on both sides of the head light on the light bar. This is the bulbs that keep burning out. The frickin dealer nails me for 22.00 a bulb. They are clear glass appearantly that is custom. Frickin rip off if ya ask me. Thanks for the comments though you guys have given me some things to look at

Old 08-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,906 Likes on 1,425 Posts

If the same bulb keeps blowing, I'd say you probably have a loose connection somewhere in that circuit. Either one of the connectors is dirty or the bulb itself is loose if it has a housing. Start at the bulb and follow everything back and clean it all up and tighten it up as needed. Also, if that is a halogen bulb, make sure you don't touch it when you put it in. Get the part number off the bulb and find them at an auto parts store.