Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

0%throttle tweaking-Sert?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:15 AM
07_103_NT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 0%throttle tweaking-Sert?

Not likely Dwane. What they are seeing is the whole "megaphone can" trying to walk or slide off the collector. If you've recently been tuned, I'm betting it's just a tweak in the 0% throttle area.
I recently had my 07 Nightrain Dyno tuned with my new sert But still have decel popping issues.And have been advised(PhilM) its probably a 0% throttle tweak to fix .I am fairly pc savy. I am looking for a few pointers as how to adjust throttle position with the sert like say adjust it to 2% .Or should I take it back to my tuner who is very busy and takes a week to book .I do have the map he made for me saved so Im not to worried about going in and trying some adjustments on my own .

Old 07-17-2007, 05:19 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 0%throttle tweaking-Sert?

Good question. I recorded the rpm of my decel popping and increased the VE of each cylinder (0 % throttle) at those rpms a little and it helped. Then a little more and it helped more. The decel pop is about 50% gone but how much more can I raise the VE? Currently I've raised it 3 full digits from 1500 to 3000 rpm. I've also found that the decel pop is temperature related. It never does it in winter, rarely on early summer mornings, but frequently on summer afternoons.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:10 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am trying to find the procedure as well. I am told that it is in the Electrical and Diagnostic manual for the particular year of your mc. Unfortunately, nobody here seems to have a copy.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:41 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

Find the decel enleanment table and decrease it at the RPMs where you are having the popping.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:54 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both manuals and I swear that info is not in there.
I've tried the decel enleanment table but couldn't tell any difference.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:39 PM
07_103_NT
Cruiser

Hmmmm it pops at any rpm as far as I can tell .I don't have a Tach installed as of yet but in any gear and speed soon as I let off the throttle the popping begins [:@].And it sounds sick Ill try the enleanment .I called the harley shop they said bring it down and theyed have a look .Im bringing it in this sat.Ill post what the tech has to say and does .
CHEERS.
ORIGINAL: ToBeFrank

Find the decel enleanment table and decrease it at the RPMs where you are having the popping.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:54 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

ORIGINAL: grandpawmoses

I have both manuals and I swear that info is not in there.
I've tried the decel enleanment table but couldn't tell any difference.
From the version J SERT manual (important text in bold):

The Decel Enleanment Table, located in the Advanced Tuning Mode, is a multiplier, which in
part, tells the ECM how much fuel to remove during a throttle roll-out at a specific engine
temperature. This is one of several tables and variables that make up the total Deceleration
Enleanment fuel that is delivered to the engine. Other variables that affect the amount of fuel
removed include: engine speed, map load, how fast the throttle is moved, and how much the
throttle is moved.

Prior to a deceleration event, the engine is running in a steady state condition and is
delivering a steady flow of fuel. When the throttle position is decreased, the engine
eventually reaches a new steady state condition with a lower rate of fuel flow. The engine
needs less fuel delivered during this change as the amount of fuel in the intake system is
more than the engine needs for the new condition. On an EFI bike, this is called Deceleration
Enleanment.

Decel exhaust popping is combustion occurring in the exhaust. Since combustion occurs
over a narrow range of A/F ratios, popping can be cured by either richening or leaning the
unburned mixture in the exhaust so it cannot combust.

Any changes made to the Decel Enleanment table increase or decrease the amount of fuel
delivered while the Deceleration Enleanment mode is in effect.
Decel popping is generally solved by richening the mixture, which is decreasing the enleanment. I've read that you may have to decrease the enleanment all the way to 0 to get rid of the popping.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:55 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 07_103_NT

Hmmmm it pops at any rpm as far as I can tell .I don't have a Tach installed as of yet but in any gear and speed soon as I let off the throttle the popping begins [:@].And it sounds sick Ill try the enleanment .I called the harley shop they said bring it down and theyed have a look .Im bringing it in this sat.Ill post what the tech has to say and does .
CHEERS.
ORIGINAL: ToBeFrank

My bad. The decel enleanment table is based on temperature, not RPM. So if you adjust the decel enleanment, it will occur at all RPMs at that temperature.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 PM
07_103_NT
Cruiser

Hey thanks ToBeFrank and every 1else for the imput .
Im going to go into my sert manual mine is the 32117-01j software and try richening it up and see how it goes maybe it will save me a trip to the shop (100kms ) away .
Thanks ToBeFrank .Ill post how it works for me .