Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Whistling Fuel Tank Problem FIXED!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007 | 08:29 PM
rschoepf
|
Novice
Default Whistling Fuel Tank Problem FIXED!!

For any of you folks that have noticed a whistle while turning your bike on and off I found the answer. About a weekor so ago my 04 FLHRI Road King started to make a "NEW" sound. The usual winding up of the fuel pump was replaced with an added whistling sound. The bike ran fine for a few days but then the idle started to get wierd and performance was up and down. I researched the sound and even asked for help on this site. Well since I turn my own wrenches and knew the new sound could not be good so I got into it. Seems that thefuel line inside the tank that goes from the check valve to the regulator was rubbing on the inside of the tank. That in turn wore a hole in the line causing a leak and the whistel. Since this line is pressureized at 58 lbs. it just stands to reason that my performance would be hampered. What pissed me off was that Harley knows about it and didn't do anything about it! They did however modify the part with a slightly shorter line to minimize the rubbing. The line is still made like crap, only out of cheap plastic and will run you $40.00 plus clamps and the canopy gasket and 10 new Torx #20 sealing screws. Parts totalled about $63.00 To have this done would cost someone about $300 at Harley. Don't panic if when you shut down you hear a quick puff this happens allot and is not a problem. The problem is the whisteling when the pump is first turned on. You may last 6 months with this problem or 6 days.

[IMG]local://upfiles/37258/768D6166B38F4318A8B031953D7C3713.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-16-2007 | 08:32 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Whistling Fuel Tank Problem FIXED!!

I didnt have the whistling, but a few weeks back, I had the same issue. The high pressure line was cracked, and instead of maintaining 55 psi, it was maintaining about 12. Started with just some idle issues, and rapidly got worse. Dealer fixed it for free.

Old 07-16-2007 | 08:37 PM
rschoepf
|
Novice

You were one of the lucky ones. My 04 is out of warrenty. However I must admitt that when I mentioned it to the dealer out here by me they did know about the problem and quickly gave me the part number..

Old 07-17-2007 | 09:03 AM
geargrinder
Road Master

Of all the non sense bolt-ons, one thing that really stands out thatI see lacking on bikes that we know are going to give trouble some day is a fuel pressure guage. I sure like mine, it helps meto quickly eliminate some possibilities anytime I have a problem, this would have helped in this case also.

Old 07-23-2007 | 12:28 AM
mtnclimber
Intermediate

This just happened to me today on my '04 Heritage. It has about 53,000 miles on it now and after filling the tank, I heard a spraying noise inside the tank. It stopped as soon as the fuel pump quit before I started the bike. Later in the day, I noticed that it's now happening (spraying) while the engine is running. How involved is it to replace that fuel line? Can someone list the steps to take the old one out and put a new one in?
tnx..

Old 09-08-2007 | 08:43 PM
sammie
Intermediate

anyone know what parts i need and how to fix my 04 rk just started doing this thanks

Old 09-08-2007 | 08:47 PM
anubisss
Banned

I had this happen to my 02 a while back as well...Quite a common problem I see.

Old 09-08-2007 | 09:58 PM
sammie
Intermediate

did you fix it your self or take it to a stealer

Old 09-08-2007 | 09:59 PM
2deuce
Road Master

Harley fixed the problem on my '03 under the emission's warranty which goes up to 15,000 miles. Didn't cost me a cent.

Old 09-09-2007 | 10:08 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

In the '07 user's manual the Emissions Warranty is stated as being 5 years or 18,641 miles.

Quick Reply: Whistling Fuel Tank Problem FIXED!!